WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

The Platform is...No Good

Old 03-04-2018, 10:42 AM
spshane (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 60
Default The Platform is...No Good

My comments fall in line with Chris Spinners comments on a closed thread.
The writers and the readers here are phenomenal; it's the platform itself that's broken. And no one seems to give a shit about fixing it.

I'm reluctant to make new posts. Once they're up, the OP seems to have little to no control over them. I can edit them and even delete the content, but the thread stays up. Understand that when I delete a thread it's not because my feelings are hurt. It's usually because I'm ready to take all the valuable feedback and move along to the next step (finding a publisher).

It's difficult to find a publisher when your piece comes up under plagiarism checks. While I can explain to a publisher that I'm the OP here, it's a conversation I'd rather not have. I know about the Members Only forum now, but the OP should still be able to delete his own threads.

Old 03-04-2018, 11:42 AM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60
Icon12 awh

Originally Posted by spshane View Post
The writers and the readers here are phenomenal; it's the platform itself that's broken. And no one seems to give a shit about fixing it.

I'm reluctant to make new posts. Once they're up, the OP seems to have little to no control over them. I can edit them and even delete the content, but the thread stays up. Understand that when I delete a thread it's not because my feelings are hurt. It's usually because I'm ready to take all the valuable feedback and move along to the next step (finding a publisher).

It's difficult to find a publisher when your piece comes up under plagiarism checks. While I can explain to a publisher that I'm the OP here, it's a conversation I'd rather not have. I know about the Members Only forum now, but the OP should still be able to delete his own threads.
Sorry SpShane but you'll get published really soon, so don't worry about not being able to delete your threads, you are being published in realtime and it will not be erased --History is in those stories you share. If you don't want people to see what you write don't self-publish on a forum -- But that's okay, I know it's because you need the crit., I've got your back on the homefront
Old 03-04-2018, 12:56 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 401

Only post in Members only. Never put title in thread line. Request no one quotes parts from the piece. Its the only way

You can delete the thread but the thread title remains

Change the title of your poems and if anything is quoted ask that user to delete it
Old 03-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Originally Posted by daes13 View Post
Only post in Members only. Never put title in thread line. Request no one quotes parts from the piece. Its the only way

You can delete the thread but the thread title remains

Change the title of your poems and if anything is quoted ask that user to delete it
What's funny about all this is nothing ever really gets deleted, er, unless the FBI gets a hold of it, they seem to misplace all sorts of evidence. SpShane if you're really worried about people stealing your stuff, you should call up the NSA and give them a piece of your mind! Or stop posting on a forum. Your choice. I mean, WB is published. Self-published 100% Deas is right, post in Members only and don't sweat the small stuff it won't come back to bite you in the end. Can't imagine, there's so many writers in the world,. so many stories, you'll be okay

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-04-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 01:04 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 401

Who was that back in the day that said they had asked an editor and closed off members section didn't matter? That they didn't care about that kind of publication, just public
Old 03-04-2018, 01:12 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

Nobody is forcing you to post your stories on this site right SP? I mean, it's not like you aren't free to just never come back. There are other forums and they will let you delete your shit stories, I mean, your literal stories about feces. I can't imagine a better forum then the one right here on WB. People love your shit! Just ask N.P. He eats it up
Don't leave
Keep writing.
Sit and stay
Forever

No. Wait. Leave
Go away.
Comeback don't leave us.

We could play this game forever cant we?
I will read every single piece you publish on WB until the day I die and that's a promise. All your stories are gold. Truly you are like a Pikachu and I am hunting pokemon. Your stories are great, stop deleting them silly writers shying away from the crit.? Naw, I don't think it's shyness is it
Old 03-04-2018, 02:34 PM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

For what it's worth -- I know people who have posted in the equivalent to "Members Only" on other writing sites and have had several things published -- and some in the top tier lit mags.

I've posted just about every short I've ever written here and/or elsewhere, so hopefully it's not too big an issue.

Oh -- daes13, what's up? It is I, fellow Georgian, JoeMatt.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:41 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 401

Well slap my ass and call me sally! Joe what the fuck is up. Hope the ocean air is nice. Wait... Yeah haha
Myers (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:37 AM
Myers (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks 403

Same old shit mostly.

Taking a break from the writing -- but I'm feeling the itch...
Old 03-05-2018, 05:12 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

WB is stuck in the early naughties. I feel like I'm in some kind of gamer 'universe' which long ceased to be popular, yet still has a few lost souls roaming around in it unaware that times have changed.

On the subject of change though, we humans do find comfort in familiarity and predictability. It's shit, it's dated, probably deserves to be burned to the ground -- but he we are nonetheless talking bollocks for good or ill.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:21 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60

It will crash and burn just as the last one I loved dearly, oahw. well Don't fret or whatever becuz I'll bee here as long as it stands. Promise
Old 03-10-2018, 09:56 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

The platform is probably as good as it gets, I doubt if the owners of the sight will update software or hosting platform.

If you want a thread totally deleted, ask - and when I pop my head in here I'll do it. More time limited than in the past.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:59 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 685

Also - if you read Chin Spinners (numerous) threads about the function of this forum, you would realize that it's out of my/our hands.

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Beesauce (Offline)
Word Wizard

Thanks 60
Icon9 am i an idiot for doing this? i tried my own heroes and they ignored me

maybe its just me SpShane
Maybe im really the one to blame
there's really not enough people here for what i have to say
and nobody i know will listen except the NSA and whoever collected all our data

Last edited by Beesauce; 03-17-2018 at 10:28 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback