WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

contest suggestion

Old 03-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908
Icon7 contest suggestion

how about a weekly 100 Word Story Contest?
contestants write prose or poem depending but no more then a hundred word.
the contest is posted weekly with a poll at the end to vote with no more then 3 to 4 days in between the polls and the next contest.

I run one in another forum and it works a treat.
this means we have more participation on feedback on writing, it is fun it brings people together and make a perfect focus for writing discussion.

the contest features one topic the main subject and one two or three prompts depending.
another feature would be to say how many full stops and comma is allowed in other words punctuation is controlled.
grammar can feature as part of the contest.
for example only write in the present tense or only use first person singular narrative only.
the features are varied so that the contest is more controlled.

the winner gets to run to chose the next prompts and topics as well as a feature or two.

it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 03-02-2014 at 05:06 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

I think we already have more than enough "showcasing" on WB. Anyone can improve by posting and receiving critiques, IF the author actually wants to learn and improve the quality. In the past, editors of the site publication chose works for recognition, but I would hate to see things posted for competition. I'm all for recognition of talent but not writing just for recognition. Anyone can get recognition through publication or on other sites that hold contests. Lastly, I think a site-sponsored contest would be a major change in WB's purpose.

Last edited by Franklin; 03-02-2014 at 06:14 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 06:19 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Actually on this I agree with Nacia. The 100 word contests on other sites are very successful. I've posted some things I've written for them on here. Once a month would be more practical though.

They actually help with a writer learning to pare back and hone skills.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
Nacia (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I think we already have more than enough "showcasing" on WB. Anyone can improve by posting and receiving critiques, IF the author actually wants to learn and improve the quality. In the past, editors of the site publication chose works for recognition, but I would hate to see things posted for competition. I'm all for recognition of talent but not writing just for recognition. Anyone can get recognition through publication or on other sites that hold contests. Lastly, I think a site-sponsored contest would be a major change in WB's purpose.
who is showcasing?
this is a contest for members to compete with each other and also get to practice writing on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.
I run it in another forum it is extremely popular it gets a lot of participation and it means the forum is busy.
I personally do not get your reluctance for written activities.
a writer loves writing and he or she writes everyday as part of it.
a contest such as this means more people come together post compete and learn from each other.
I do not get your points? you seem to be very negative.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind
Old 03-02-2014, 06:57 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
who is showcasing?
this is a contest for members to compete with each other and also get to practice writing on a weekly basis or a monthly basis.
I run it in another forum it is extremely popular it gets a lot of participation and it means the forum is busy.
I personally do not get your reluctance for written activities.
a writer loves writing and he or she writes everyday as part of it.
a contest such as this means more people come together post compete and learn from each other.
I do not get your points? you seem to be very negative.
Yes, I am always negative about things I don't agree with. I have the right to think for myself. I can see you don't get my points; that's natural since you don't agree. Aren't you being negative about my opinions? Do you expect everyone to agree with whatever you suggest?
Old 03-02-2014, 07:12 AM
Nacia (Offline)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 908

Yes, I am always negative about things I don't agree with. I have the right to think for myself. I can see you don't get my points; that's natural since you don't agree. Aren't you being negative about my opinions? Do you expect everyone to agree with whatever you suggest?
Ok
you say:
''I think we already have more than enough "showcasing" on WB''
i personally have not seen it but if you have then it is you not me.
then
but I would hate to see things posted for competition.
you need to explain why you do not like competition.
competition is normally a very useful too. it improves motivation and increase achievement.
I'm all for recognition of talent but not writing just for recognition.
this does not make sense. what is recognition anything to do with writing?
i write because i like it. is there anything better then this?
Lastly, I think a site-sponsored contest would be a major change in WB's purpose.
major change? how is a contest going to change a writing forum?
i do not understand this either.

this is not a personal argument. this is a suggestion to improve writing and increase participation in a controlled way.
control in a proactive positive approach is better then a control that reduces your chances of input.
a contest is to improve an imput and not reduce it.
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

Last edited by Nacia; 03-02-2014 at 07:35 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by Nacia View Post
Ok
you say:

i personally have not seen it but if you have then it is you not me.
then

you need to explain why you do not like competition.
competition is very useful. it motivates and increase the will to want to do things and achieve.

this does not make sense. what is recognition anything to do with writing?
i write because i like it. that is the bottom line.

major change? how is a contest going to change a writing forum?
i do not understand this either.

this is not a personal argument. this is a suggestion to improve writing and increase participation in a controlled way.
control in a proactive positive approach is better then a control that reduces your chances of input.
a contest is to improve an imput and not reduce it.
You seem to have answered your own questions. I need to explain why I don't like competition? Says who? In fact, (even without your demand) I did give my personal reasons, but I guess they don't count. I could never explain my reasoning to your satisfaction. This is where we agree to disagree.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 AM
CandyCane (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 195

I like the idea, another site I use has specific groups for it...BUT this is quite a small community, some writers are significantly better. With comps such as this, on a regular basis, the superior writers will always over shadow most of us. While for some this spurns them on, for most it will cause a lot of confidence issues, and even demotivation. They keep entering in the hope they've improved, which they will, but so have the best writers, keeping the cycle going.

Maybe if it was a competition, that participants critted each other after, to give specific points to improve on, it could work better.

just my 2 pennys
Old 03-02-2014, 08:03 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by CandyCane View Post
I like the idea, another site I use has specific groups for it...BUT this is quite a small community, some writers are significantly better. With comps such as this, on a regular basis, the superior writers will always over shadow most of us. While for some this spurns them on, for most it will cause a lot of confidence issues, and even demotivation. They keep entering in the hope they've improved, which they will, but so have the best writers, keeping the cycle going.

Maybe if it was a competition, that participants critted each other after, to give specific points to improve on, it could work better.

just my 2 pennys
The likely outcome--just my guess--is that the winner would bask in glory, and the other entrants would hate his/her guts.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Redlorry

When we had the WBQ, we did run contests and publish the winners, both poetry and prose and word vault. But participation from the membership was so poor toward the end--minimal entries and hardly any votes--that it just wasn't worth it.

At the moment we are looking for ways to improve the critiquing of pieces posted, and we're doing this by reducing the sheer volume of posts, and then coaching people on how to leave more effective feedback and critique.

Once that is established we'll look at other ways to engage members.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Franklin (03-02-2014), Nacia (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:20 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

That's why the 100 word or less. Far more people across the net compete in them than compete in proper full blown competitions. I don't mind firing off 75/100 words but when it comes to 2000 it takes away from my writing schedule.

The writing site I'm on I've never won in three years. Heck I get excited when I get a couple of honourable mentions most of us do. There I'm going up against far more superior writers and at the end they offer help on the pieces.
The Following User Says Thank You to AnyaKimlun For This Useful Post:
Nacia (03-02-2014)
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Lorry, if memory serves, weren't the entries nominations from other members? To me, that's entirely different than someone posting an entry in a contest. If a member wants to view their work as a contest entry, all they have to do is judge themselves by the responses/critiques/proffered advice; or just go buy a blue ribbon.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Redlorry

There were a whole range of contests including members choice, word vault, and editors choice.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

I suppose we just have different definitions of contests. I don't remember anyone nominating his/her own work for Editors' Choice.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Redlorry

Member's Choice ...?
Old 03-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Member's Choice ...?
Did Member's Choice consist of self nomination? This may be a contest of my memory.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Redlorry

No members nominated each other andthe voted for a winner.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

I think we already have more than enough "showcasing" on WB. Anyone can improve by posting and receiving critiques, IF the author actually wants to learn and improve the quality. In the past, editors of the site publication chose works for recognition, but I would hate to see things posted for competition. I'm all for recognition of talent but not writing just for recognition. Anyone can get recognition through publication or on other sites that hold contests.
I agree, but for different reasons. As Red says, uptake on contests is minimal; for some reason people here do not like to get involved in anything competitive.

Anyone can get recognition through publication or on other sites that hold contests.
Indeed, but few even try.

membership here appears to be polarised; there are a small minority here who write to be published, or are published. The vast majority (and this is not meant to be pejorative) are wannabes, and always will be. Whether they just write for enjoyment, or come here because they like to hang out with others of the same ilk, or think that maybe, someday, when they're good enough... I don't know, but there are plenty of writers here working to a publishable standard who never seem to show any interest in advancing their work. Maybe it's a fear of rejection, I don't know.

I do know that if I was to beat you, or you me, on a wb contest, it doesn't mean very much when the same effort could be applied to getting us both published out in the real world.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback