WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

SPaG

Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314
Default SPaG

Seems a good time--with a new section for spagging being started--to bring up the subject of punctuation, or the lack thereof. I believe the trend toward no punctuation to be an evolvement of internet abbreviation for the sake of space and time savings. I am not opposed to such language changes for those purposes. Still, the reader of great works finds value in the genius usage of the language. I do not find genius in 'whatever' usage. I know that language and acceptance of changes occur through time and even creativity, but I also believe that these changes should evolve with creativity, not on whims. What's next? We already truncate words to save space and time while forsaking the beauty of words. No, I don't advocate a return to Elizabethan English, but I do advocate knowing how to read it. Why else would scholars continue to study Latin? I just hope that creators of literature will not rush to abandon all rules of usage for the sake of utility. Hmm. How many tweeters use the word 'utility?'

Old 12-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Error69 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 215

I personally despise internet (or texting) English, maybe I'm just a snob but I don't care. I completely agree with what you're saying, just by the way. I mean imagine one day, when books are written by these people:

Jason sed 'lol i cant beleve you sed that'
'jk' bobby sed lolling

Then the audience, because books won't exist anymore and everything has to be a movie with special effects laughs with a bunch of, 'lol lol lol lol's instead of with actual laughter.

Anyway... bye...
Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Redlorry

Franklin makes an excellent point. And while not advocating a return to 'Ye Olde English', I would like to point out that sometimes I find 'Murican' English a bit too comma-happy.

So please remember that there are still some occassions when the continental divide can make a difference, and on rare occassions both sides can be right (or wrong, as the case may be).

Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 AM
JoeMatt (Offline)

Thanks 1,526

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
I believe the trend toward no punctuation to be an evolvement of internet abbreviation for the sake of space and time savings.
Frankin -- rushing headlong into the new millennium -- clearly a man with his finger on the pulse of modern technology and culture.

Last edited by JoeMatt; 12-09-2013 at 03:59 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback