WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

SPaG Workshop

Old 05-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Of course not. You're welcome to give some thoughts about the SPaG area, too.
This might help getting some traffic into the workshop: sub topics..."Sentence Styling," "Paragraph Improvement," and "Short Story Repairs."

Sentence styling is for enhancing only sentences. Paragraph Improvement develops a strong paragraph for the member, with a focus on the topic sentence and unity and coherence in the paragraph. The Short Story Repair section critiques the entire, with a story limit of 1,200 to 1,500 words.

This workshop might attract writers that are just starting out since established writers are likely to post stories in the forums that already exist. If the idea sits well with WB, i think it would be best to let a "spag" moderator have first crack at helping the poster, but then open the thread to any member who may have spotted what a moderator overlooked. This change would probably increase the traffic in the room and make it more fun to visit.

That's All Folks.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-02-2014 at 02:27 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
Devon (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Franklin (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 314

Originally Posted by whiskers View Post
*shakes head at shelley* there's always one.
!!!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

I'll post a good example for you, Devon.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

For example, in the "Sentence Styling" forum someone may start a thread:

Hi, I've been working on the following sentence, one which I believe is grammatically correct but a bit wordy. Can someone please help me with it? Thank you.

Here it is: These procedures are required in accordance with school policy.

Thanks, again.

Then, a member may try to help with this sentence:

These procedures are required by school policy.

And then another sharp-eyed member make yet another improvement:

School policy requires these procedures.

Then:

Oh, thank you very much.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-03-2014 at 04:45 PM..
Old 05-03-2014, 05:01 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Or, in "Paragraph Development" forum, one might post:

Hi, can someone please help me improve this paragraph:

Spring had come to western Pennsylvania unannounced. The oaks and maples were very colorful and even the sedate elms were changing the boring line of rundown farmhouses and barns by showing their colors. Acting as if he owned the town, Joe Moore, divorced and jobless, walked down the streets of his hometown smelling the scented air of the morning. Today was a perfect day to open the door of opportunity.

Hi, your paragraph seems well written. I have made a few changes. I hope you do like it.

Spring had burst into western Pennsylvania unannounced. The oaks and maples were exploding with color and even the sedate elms were interrupting the boring line of the rundown farm houses and barns by displaying their colors. Acting as if he ran the town, Joe Moore, divorced and jobless, strode down the streets of his hometown drinking in the scented air of the morning. Today was a perfect day to kick down the door of opportunity.

__________________________________________________ ___

Then, from the thread starter:

Oh, thank you very much. I love what you have done.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Well, you get the idea. "Short Story Repairs" will have more of the same but longer.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

But then, the purpose of a SPaG section is NOT to rewrite, but to highlight spelling, punctuation and grammar errors. How arrogant. Should I critique a poem by telling the poet, "Here is the way you should have written YOUR poem."?

"The SPaG Workshop is a sub-forum through which members may post a piece for a very detailed spelling, punctuation, and grammar (i.e. SPaG) critique."

Last edited by Franklin; 05-03-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
But then, the purpose of a SPaG section is NOT to rewrite, but to highlight spelling, punctuation and grammar errors. How arrogant. Should I critique a poem by telling the poet, "Here is the way you should have written YOUR poem."?

"The SPaG Workshop is a sub-forum through which members may post a piece for a very detailed spelling, punctuation, and grammar (i.e. SPaG) critique."
Arrogant? Why do you just want to clash? Fresh air and sunshine. Both are free and both are good for you.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Franklin (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 314

Wait. The tooth fairy will be along soon.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Franklin's right, though. The Workshop is a place to point out for the member, in a small sample, where the most common SPaG issues are so the member can then implement it into their future works or into the work in progress they had SPaG critted.

I'd rather not do short stories or sections up to 1,500 words; it's too time consuming and we ninjas might just have well edited the piece for them. Who would learn anything that way?

The "paragraph development" example is pretty much what we do, only with "track changes"-like suggestions.

And we don't open it to regular members for SPaG critique because, again, it'd be hit or miss. Some members know how to SPaG crit really well; others, not so great, and they'd be giving incorrect information to members who truly want to learn (and I'd have tons of "clean up" to attend to, which I don't have time for). That's why we have SPaG Ninjas. And if someone believes s/he can truly SPaG crit and has a very good to excellent grasp of writing mechanics, s/he's perfectly welcome to apply to become a ninja. With the full understanding that we do have rules to follow in the Workshop area AND there's a SPaG test evaluated by the Head SPaG Ninja, of course.

But I do thank you for your ideas! Might consider taking a select few on board later on if we want/need to make any changes to the Workshop.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:22 AM
Cityboy (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 185

Not a question of being right or wrong but whether the idea would help. Apparently, you have reasons to believe the change won't (And I understand what you mean about "cleaning up"). As I previously stated, the focus would have been on young writers seeking help since most of the established writers post in the other forums. Opening the forum to all members, besides keeping moderators, was an attempt to bring more traffic into forum and make it a bit more lively. Anyhow, good luck with the forum as it is now.

Last edited by Cityboy; 05-04-2014 at 03:29 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback