WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

The submission challenge

Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM
InkSmith (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Icon6 The submission challenge

An interesting topic came up between an author and I.

We are working on the back of her book, and I needed her to reduce her synopsis down to fit neatly into the space I had made for her synopsis.

She couldn't. In fact she came back to me with more.

So I challenged her to do the following:
  • Sell me your book in a single sentence.
  • Give me a catching synopsis in 100 words
  • Describe your
book in 300 words

So this made me think.

Perhaps I should pose it to other authors. I feel doing this challenge is a great way to get to know your book. Sadly enough readers need to be hooked within a few seconds of reading or you have lost them. I feel this challenge makes us get outside of our comfort zones of our own story.

Think about it this way. The one sentence helps develop a catchy saying to entice readers at book fairs, festivals or online. The 100 words is great for short synopsis pieces, whether it be for newspapers, or other marketing. It can only help.

What do you think?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by InkSmith; 01-20-2014 at 02:55 PM..
Old 01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Anyone who has been submitting has all of the above:

Mayhem
One Line:
Blood, mayhem and magic forge a reluctant prince into a beloved king.

Blurb:
A night of royal disasters thrust the unprepared Prince Angus of Covesea Island onto the throne. As the youngest of three children he never expected to inherit. The modern teen has no respect for royal tradition and would rather hang out with his mates or start a brawl. He has never left the Royal Quarter, never shown any interest in affairs of state, the press call him “The Royal Oaf” and focus groups report he is public enemy number one. Oh and his sister wants him dead.

300 Words:

A night of royal disasters thrust the unprepared Prince Angus of Covesea Island onto the throne. As the youngest of three children he never expected to inherit. The modern teen has no respect for royal tradition and would rather hang out with his mates or start a brawl. He has never left the Royal Quarter, never shown any interest in affairs of state, the press call him “The Royal Oaf” and focus groups report he is public enemy number one.

His much older sister, Princess Evelyn, has only ever wanted one thing: to be queen. Evie will stop at nothing to get her crown; her CV includes matricide, patricide and attempted fratricide. Unlike Angus she has the people’s hearts and the media adore her. With a mix of sex and blackmail she has assured support from the country’s military leaders. She has hated Angus since he was in the womb and now he has blundered onto her coveted throne.

Outgunned, outmanoeuvred and out of his depth, Angus joins forces with the senile, bright-pink mobile-phone wielding Abbot Alexander Kazuto of the Order of the Sea. With the Abbot's help, Angus learns to wield ancient magic and together they turn the tide on Princess Evelyn.

A Cuckoo in Black's Nest

One Sentence:
A retired police officer sets out to prove his grandson innocent of murder and in the process uncovers a dystopian fairy realm.

The rest is in progress as the only place I've submitted it asked for 1000 words.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:46 PM
Cloverish (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 82

You know... That's actually pretty hard... I don't even know if I'm doing them right by writing them in the MC's perspective.

The Takeover

One Sentence:

Biology class had seemed so normal... until my peers began eating each other that is, and now I'm the only one fit to save the day or at least that's what they keep telling me.

Synopsis:

Who said nothing strange happened in school? No one did. School was the freakiest place out there, but besides the people there now runs amok a disease that has changed many peoples preference of food. Now they can't help but bite others. Of course I don't get caught that first day of the outbreak, and manage to lead my ragtag group of friends to some safety, but as the days progress and the horrors grow worst I begin to realize it's not the sick I should be worried about.

That 300... That's the killer
Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM
InkSmith (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I know! It's harder than most authors realize.

So in honor of the thrill and challenge of this, we have decided to hold a submission contest. Of course more details will come later as we are in the process of working them out.

You can check out some of the details here:
http://inksmithpublishing.wordpress.com/

Thanks for your responses! I thought this would be fun.

, and

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback