WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

err, help please on editing/revision

Old 04-18-2006, 08:05 PM
dogwood (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via MSN to dogwood
err, help please on editing/revision

hi all, i have a queston about editing/revision.

I've been wokring on my story (20 pgs.) 'Lady Street' for a few months now. The story itself is done, and I've done two complete 'edits.' meaning, printing it out, and over time fully correcting the entire story. now it's getting into the pretty nitty-gritty stages, but I'm still finding things that i want to change, even if they are minor. I guess I'm just wondering if this is 'normal.' this is the first longish piece I've ever written so I'm a novice, but I just wonder how long professional writers and other writers take to edit things. am i taking too long? i want it to be good, but i dont want to edit to death.

thanks for any help,
zoe/dogwood

?

Old 04-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,572
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

STOP!

Put the story away, and write something else. Don't look at it again for 2-3 months. Or at least a few weeks. It'll look different when you come back to it.

We all have to edit and refine, but how much is down to the individual.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

As long as you're only changing minor things, you're not editing too much. I kept revising my best short story for months before I was satisfied with the result.

Just don't start tampering with the basic plot, adding new characters or radically changing existing characters. It is possible to over edit and ruin a good story.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Haragorn (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0

waiting a while is always good... or geting other people's opinions on it... But don't listen to other people telling you to chang anything important, as far as the plot/characters/stuff like that goes.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 AM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

20 pages - what's that, about 5,000 words? You definitely need to put it down for a while. 2-3 weeks is good. Forget about it. Write something else - very short flash fiction, for instance. You need to get it out of your head.

You can continue editing untili you run out of green ink - you'll always find something you can change, improve, make better. Most of the time, it will make little or no difference. One more complete edit from start to finish, and then send it out!

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice