WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

Is this cheating?

Old 03-09-2006, 01:50 AM
ChapStik (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0
Is this cheating?

I have to turn in a paper with around 1000 words by friday. If I post it asking for a critique, is this cheating?

Old 03-09-2006, 01:51 AM
Paxil (Offline)
Pencil pusher

Thanks 0

Just post the damn thing, don't worry about it!

It'd be the same thing as asking a friend
Old 03-09-2006, 10:33 AM
entropy (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Send a message via AIM to entropy

It's not cheating if you write it.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:10 AM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

If someone on the site were to rewrite the entire thing for you and you turned that in, that'd be cheating because it'd be plagiarism.

Getting help/critiques/even some editing suggestions isn't cheating at all. It's self-improvement.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:16 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

Even the best writers get edits/critiques on their work.

post your stuff!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 PM
Dephere

Authors who publish their books all have editors go through their work, how is posting it on a forum any different...besides all the creative material came from your own mind - didn't it? *glares*
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 AM
mclt_br (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Post it. I don't think there is anything morally wrong with asking for a critique.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Who cares if it's considered cheating?

Unless you are a prodigy, it won't be perfect if you write it without any help. Grades are all-important in school and you will get pigeon-holed by your GPA. Don't be a designated loser in our dog-eat-dog society.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:16 AM
Kempas (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 2
Send a message via MSN to Kempas

In short...no, it's not
Old 03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
Jay (Offline)
Grizzled Veteran
Loyal Member

Thanks 23

This paper has probably been already turned in by now. Since it was due about 18 days ago. Let's take this from a teacher's point of view. Critiquing is not cheating. Now if it is a paper that is supposed to be from your personal point of view, it would not be good to take content input from others. Most word processors alert you about spelling and gramatical errors. I see no problems with critiquing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:33 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

I just want to join in, no it's not...

have you ever not asked someone how to spell a word or for a new word in place of an old one, or even hey does this sound alright, because you thought it might have been cheating??
Old 04-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Dangling Participles ROCK
Official Member

Thanks 0

It's not cheating, it's just gaining an edge. Like an athlete who works out or practices daily. They aren't cheating, they are just using all their resources.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

Originally Posted by DFischer
If you need anything don't hestitate to ask.

Unless it involves bending over
Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Blackhawk_t
They aren't cheating, they are just using all their resources.
I agree. No surprises there then.

But playing devil's advocate, if an athlete is allowed to use all their resources, what about taking performace-enhancing drugs? No? Too far? What about popping dessicated liver tablets for more protein. Cheating? What about marathon runners stoking up on pasta the night before a race? Okay? Where do isotonic drinks come in to all this? That's chemicals, isn't it? Athletes gaining an edge?

Coming back to writing, so you write something, and have someone look over it. That's okay. What about a group of people going over it, and you rewriting and rewriting until it's perfect? Still okay? What about you happen to live next to A Great Writer. You get him to look over your work. He crosses out a few things. Still okay? He then says your opening is not good enough. "Here," he says, taking your sheaf of papers, and rewrites the first two paragraphs. Still okay?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it goes from white to black through many shades of grey. Athletes have a strict legal line which they should not cross. Do writers? How much help is some help? How much is too much?

As I said, posting something here for opinion is, IMO, fine and no way cheating. But an unscrupulous writer could take things a bit further.

I'm reminded of another writing group, and a member there posted some poetry from their daughter. Everyone thought it was wonderful, until someone helpfully posted a link to the song lyrics from which she (either the mother or the daughter, we never did find out) had taken 'their' poetry. Tut tut
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Blackhawk_t (Offline)
Dangling Participles ROCK
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by doolols
what about taking performace-enhancing drugs?
Okay, you read way too far into what I meant. Or, more likely, I didn't clarify myself thoroughly.

Legally using all their resources. And yes, like you said, there is a line, that is not always visible.

-

Originally Posted by DFischer
If you need anything don't hestitate to ask.

Unless it involves bending over
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
doolols (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by Blackhawk_t
Okay, you read way too far into what I meant. Or, more likely, I didn't clarify myself thoroughly.
Nah - it's just I rather cheekily piggy-backed my ideas onto your statement. I'm a believer in using people you know and respect to improve your writing. It's just that it's hard, sometimes, to see where the line is when you're striding past it. I had a bodybuilder friend who always maintained that he would stay 'clean', until he needed just that little bit extra for a competition ...

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice