WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Germany

Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 113
Default Germany

I was stationed in Germany in the Army. I saw Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Bamberg and Nuremberg. In Frankfurt, I was walking one night and chanced upon the house of the poet Goethe. It was weird because I had seen a picture of his house in a book in the library at Fort Knox. The city of Frankfurt was founded in 794 by Charlemagne. It sits on the river Main. The Main flows into the Rhine. I ended up in Nuremberg where the war trials were held. World War II had been over for 25 years, and I saw no evidence of it. Some soldiers want to return to Germany or at least think they do. I have no desire to go back. German cities are bleak and colorless, old gray and brown buildings. There is a quaintness, like going back a thousand years. Germany is still synonymous with Hitler. Its only desirable export has been the Kessler Twins, song-and-dance girls who did television in the U.S. in the 1960s. Their names were Alice and Ellen, and they were quite leggy. Agnetha of ABBA was recording in Germany in 1969 although it was two decades before I knew it. Any trip to Europe will tell you why our ancestors left. The United States is the only country in the world fit to live in. Even European license plates are ugly: flat and elongated.

I was in an ADM (Atomic Demolitions Munitions) platoon in Bamberg. We were the ones with the atomic bombs. We were also the ones with the reputation of being the biggest drunks on the base. German beer is potent. I drank myself into oblivion on the 4th of July at the rented house of a guy in our platoon. I was a clerk. My fellow clerk and I would go to a bar down the street. Once, he got next to the German woman who owned the bar. I made a play for Bridgitte, who worked as a waitress. My friend and I were drunk at the end of the night, and he called a cab. The two women left with us. I was in the back seat with Bridgitte and put my hand on her leg. Suddenly, she yelled out, "He's got his hand on my leg!" I quickly withdrew it! That was the end of that. Later, we heard that Bridgitte was fired for chasing a customer with a butcher knife.

Last edited by Jim Colyer; 02-18-2012 at 09:16 AM..
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 647

This left me confused. I'm not sure what to think, non-fiction? It seems as though this could be that more interesting if you fill in some of the blanks, instead of just using bland statements, "I was this" "I went here" "it was this". I'm intrigued to find out why you say Germany is still synonymous with Hitler - especially when they are famed for the club scene that Hitler would've hated, being the sexless prude that he was.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Jim Colyer (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 113

John,

No need to be confused. These are just my own impressions. Even though Hitler died in 1945, his legend lives on, largely with Jews who will not let go of the "Holocaust." As for the club scene, I do not know much about it.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Colyer For This Useful Post:
WilliamS. (07-26-2012)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 AM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 376

Jim, there is a story in this but I also feel it needs fleshed out. There are places where the story outpaces the writing.

Interesting experience.

R.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 AM
rabjoe (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Germany seems to have left an impression on you! Seen through a haze I expect. Well, there's nothing wrong with that... Everything's subjective. Kafka wrote a telling description of New York in his Novel ''America', having never been there! Says a lot about the Human imagination and psyche!
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 805

Struedel is good stuff.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:23 AM
Ethan Blake (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 346
Send a message via AIM to Ethan Blake Send a message via Skype™ to Ethan Blake

Originally Posted by Jim Colyer View Post
Even though Hitler died in 1945, his legend lives on, largely with Jews who will not let go of the "Holocaust." As for the club scene, I do not know much about it.
Interesting choice of words 'Legend' and 'Let go of' Care to elaborate?
D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'THERE MAY BE TROUBLE AHEAD!'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 805

Apparently they are still a bit miffed about the whole thing. Can't say I blame them.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Misty Mirrors (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 2

I'm sad that someone should find Germany so tasteless!

I'm German and like the quaint, historic buildings. I like the ducks on the little river near where I spent my childhood!

I visited the US. I only saw New York. I was impressed. I liked it. I was impressed that what seemed to be a respectable, well dressed woman walked on her own at 9 pm down Broadway.

You were working in Germany. You were away from your friends and family. I don't like my working years either. Perhaps that has something to ndo with your dislike!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 PM
cobs (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

I got to say this piece is exactly how i would imagine an american soldier to talk; simple, staccato like - a distrust of all thats european and an unnecessary patriotism for the US. Its story material!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Shelly (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 438

Last edited by Shelly; 04-19-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
Tor (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 252

just a glimmer as to what is in your mind and how it got there many don't even look as deep as this story starts to do. It sounds like you have much more to say.
Tor
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 218

The Jews just won't let go of the "holocaust"? You can't get over how ugly European license plates are. Maybe you can give those silly Jews a pass for feeling offended by the "holocaust", it may be trivial to you, and that's your thing, but I think ugly liscence plates are slightly less trivial that "genocide".

That's just my opinion, I could be entirely off base here.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Unknown_Hero (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Unknown_Hero Send a message via Skype™ to Unknown_Hero

The side story about Bridgette came out of nowhere. I figured you would end with something else about Germany. Very abrupt ending.

- William W. Gibbs (1948 - 2008)
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM
Crystalize (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Interesting and detailed but a little bizzare as to how abrupt it ended though.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
rijektus (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

If it's meant to be stream-of-consciousness fiction, well done. But given that this is the non-fiction section, I sincerely hope you're not serious with this

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction