WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library

The Library Reviews and opinions on published writing: prose and poetry.

Favorite Book Series

Old 12-15-2005, 06:06 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14
Send a message via AIM to Dalton Send a message via Yahoo to Dalton
Favorite Book Series

Do any of you have a really good series of books that you absolutely love? I am a big fan of reading a series since you get to know one or more characters pretty well. It allows you to sit and think about what the character might do next because you have a feeling from previous actions and such.

I have read the entire Dark Tower series by Stephen King and loved them all. Some were weak, but I enjoyed them immensely. I am also a fan of Dean Koontz and his Odd Thomas books and his Christopher Snow books. Anybody know any other good ones in the suspense genre. I'm not a real fan of sci-fi stuff. Thanks!

Old 12-16-2005, 07:28 AM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

I also love reading series. my favorite is the ann rice vampire crohicles. It's something about the way that she writes that draws me in. I also just started reading the witches series that she wrote. another great series that i love to read is the harry potter books.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:36 AM
lovelornninja (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 0

If you like sci-fi and series you may enjoy the Jasper Fforde books.
1)The Jayne Eyre Affair
2)Lost in a good book
3)The Well Of lost plots
4)?????cant remember 4th but there is one.
They are a fun but interesting read.
The Phillip Pullmann Northern Lights, Subtle Knife and Amber spyglass is a lovely fantasy trilogy.
I am also a fan of Peake's Gormenghast trilogy but I know thats an aquired taste.
Hope this is useful
Old 12-16-2005, 12:38 PM
ubersoldat (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

I love Asimov's "I, Robot" series, Stephen King's "Plant" series, and, of course, Lord of the Rings. It's a shame two out of three of those authors are dead...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:08 PM
eightbit (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to eightbit

The Belgariad series by David Eddings. Its a wonderful fantasy series.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:59 AM
Desmond Tiny (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Desmond Tiny Send a message via MSN to Desmond Tiny Send a message via Skype™ to Desmond Tiny

The Darren Shan saga by Darren Shan has to be my fav, but his new saga looks very promising too and so far the first book of it has been written better than the first couple in the Darren Shan saga.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:04 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14

I forgot to mention that I loved the rings trilogy and have read the HP books. I have been reading the first Darren Shan book, but its not keeping my interest very well so far. Not sure why. I think I may take and run with Asimov. I haven't read anything by him since high scool.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:57 PM
HobGadling (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 0

I did the Wheel of Time thing for a while, but that started to get irritating, so I gave it a break. Some of my other favorite series are LOTR and Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:34 PM
allecto (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to allecto

Originally Posted by HobGadling
I did the Wheel of Time thing for a while, but that started to get irritating, so I gave it a break.
Haha I hear that

The only series I've ever really DEVOURED without losing interest is Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. LOVE it. Also in the fantasy genre, I really love the Magic Kingdom of Landover series Terry Brooks did. I'm addicted to the mystery novels JA Jance writes, and most of those are about the same characters, but I can't think of any suspense series off the top of my head.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

haaarry potter. my favorite. haha.
and.. oh my, I forgot the series name. But I know the first book is called the Golden Compass. The Dark something series. I would check the author but I am not at home :-/
LOTR.. Hitchhickers guide to the galaxy. Things like that.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Ryan.t (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Ryan.t

I could never get into Lord of the Rings (But then the last time I tried was many many years ago)... The only series that I tend to follow fairly religiously is the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - its not really huge in America due to the overwhelmingly British humour, but its a lot of fun - and I recommend you give it a go. It's my easy reading series haha...
Old 12-28-2005, 11:10 AM
DJRome (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 0

Madeline L'Engle books. Cooper's books (The Dark is Rising). Um. . . what else. . . Dune series. Watership Down (there's a second one).
Old 12-28-2005, 08:26 PM
solecistic (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Oh, lord. I guess this doesn't exactly count, since it's meant to be one piece in six volumes. But Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time is my favourite series of books ever. Nothing touches it in my opinion.

Narnia also has a special place in my heart, since I read it when I was about seven.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:30 AM
allecto (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to allecto

Originally Posted by Perfect_Paradox
oh my, I forgot the series name. But I know the first book is called the Golden Compass. The Dark something series. I would check the author but I am not at home :-/
His Dark Materials series, I believe. Philip Pullman? The books with Lyra, right? I LOVE THOSE.

I love Madeline L'Engle, and actually found her on my family tree (she's like a distant cousin) so that was kinda cool

Has anyone read the Wi'itch books by James Clemens? I dig those. Very different.

Oh and the Sparhawk series...uhhh David Eddings I think? AWESOME character development there
Old 01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
big_fn_dirty (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

The trilogy Nick Sagan is just about to finish has given me hours of entertainment. Idlewild, Edenborn and in march, Everfree will be released.

Also George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series is my very soul at the moment. Start with "A Game of Thrones".

Edit: Also, if you havent already Orson Scott Card's Ender series is sexcellent. Even if you arent a big sci-fi fan, this is required reading.

Last edited by big_fn_dirty; 01-07-2006 at 03:43 AM..
Old 01-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Perfect_Paradox (Offline)
Better than Darth.
Loyal Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to Perfect_Paradox

Originally Posted by allecto
His Dark Materials series, I believe. Philip Pullman? The books with Lyra, right? I LOVE THOSE.
ah thats it!! I loved those books so much when I read them. I'll have to go find them now... they should be in my house somewhere.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Occasionalpoet (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0

Lord of the Rings
Chronicles of Narnia
Artemis Fowl
And thats all I can think of right now.

“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.”-Nikola Tesla
Old 01-07-2006, 09:57 PM
big_fn_dirty (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

I never gave Artemis Fowl the time of day. Was I wrong to do so? What are the books about? Why did you enjoy them so much?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:18 PM
kellykat60409 (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to kellykat60409 Send a message via MSN to kellykat60409 Send a message via Yahoo to kellykat60409

I just got into James Patterson I have read first to die and second chance and i am just starting third degree.
Old 01-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Morogo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Morogo Send a message via Yahoo to Morogo Send a message via Skype™ to Morogo

Oh, There was this one series it was really good, now what was it called? I remeber the first book was called... oh shiggles flids I can't remeber... wait and I'll find out...

... tomorow... sometime... maybe... if your lucky and I remeber...

Love,
~Morogo
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Lethe (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

One of my favorite series was written by Alexandre Dumas

"The Three Musketeers"
"Twenty Years After"
"Vicomte de Bragellone"

Lot's of action and suspense in all three.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:00 PM
Christianne_015 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via ICQ to Christianne_015 Send a message via AIM to Christianne_015 Send a message via MSN to Christianne_015 Send a message via Yahoo to Christianne_015

Any books by Christine Feehan and Tamora Pierce.

Have you heard of them?

MSN Messenger:

Yahoo! Messenger:

MySpace:
Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Christianne_015 (Offline)
Profusive Denizen
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via ICQ to Christianne_015 Send a message via AIM to Christianne_015 Send a message via MSN to Christianne_015 Send a message via Yahoo to Christianne_015

Originally Posted by HobGadling
I did the Wheel of Time thing for a while, but that started to get irritating, so I gave it a break. Some of my other favorite series are LOTR and Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea trilogy.
I read around the first five or six books in the Wheel of Time thing, and then I got tired of them. There were just too many in that series/whatever-it's-called.

MSN Messenger:

Yahoo! Messenger:

MySpace:
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

These are not really book series as such, but I have two favorite collections where the main character is the same:

The Philip Marlowe private detective novels of Raymond Chandler. The plots wander, but the characters and slick dialogue are unforgettable.

The Henry Chinaski books by Charles Bukowski. Chinaski is simply Bukowski's autobiographical alter ego, but I love the stories of existential angst on the seedy side of life.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:06 AM
Dalton (Offline)
Half Man, Half Amazing
Official Member

Thanks 14

Originally Posted by starrwriter
These are not really book series as such, but I have two favorite collections where the main character is the same:

The Philip Marlowe private detective novels of Raymond Chandler. The plots wander, but the characters and slick dialogue are unforgettable.

The Henry Chinaski books by Charles Bukowski. Chinaski is simply Bukowski's autobiographical alter ego, but I love the stories of existential angst on the seedy side of life.
I just got into the same type of series by Michael Connolley where he uses the character Harry Bosch. I like the same character in numerous books. Kind of lets you really get to know the guy.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 AM
scouzer (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

Along with many of the series that have already mentioned I thoroughly enjoyed the Foundation (I think) series by Asimov. It's been many years since I've read those books but I really liked the writing in those.

Edit: Apologies. i just realised how big a necro this post was. I wasn't paying attention to the dates when reading the thread.

Last edited by scouzer; 07-29-2006 at 05:27 AM..
Old 07-29-2006, 03:25 PM
cole10 (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

harry potter
Old 07-29-2006, 05:31 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

Jasper Fforde - the thursday next books. Don't ask just read is about the best thing anyone could ever tell you about these books.

The Nextian Series, Spec Ops 27.
1st - The Eyre Affair
2nd - Lost in a Good Book
3rd - The Well of Lost Plots
4th - Something Rotten
5th - due soon, The Ward of the Words

Jack Spratt Nursery Crime books
1st (though not in the series but greatly related to) The Big Over Easy
2nd (new July 2006) The fourth Bear
3rd (TBC) The Last Great Tortoise Race.

I would also reccommend especially for younger readers the Deptford Mice Trilogy and The DeptforHistories. Great fantacies without all the cliche shit. And if you get a chance the incredible Whitby Witches Series. All by Robin Jarvis.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 PM
uvachick (Offline)
evanescenes crazed
Official Member

Thanks 0
Send a message via AIM to uvachick Send a message via MSN to uvachick

The silverwing series by Kenneth Oppel
Old 09-25-2006, 02:23 PM
kikuchi (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0

I used to like The Baby-Sitters Club by Ann M. Martin. Ha, I still remember everyone's names and likes/dislikes by heart.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Library