WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests

Contest Results l Poetry l Observation (Nov 2007)

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
aprilrain (Offline)
I need more minions
Loyal Member

Default Contest Results l Poetry l Observation (Nov 2007)

Thank you to Tau Worlock and Andrew for entering their exemplary poems into this month's contest. Both were an excellent, enjoyable read. I would also like to thank Queen of Wands, our newly appointed staff person, for being the guest judge this month.

Congratulations to Andrew!

Andrew, as with most things in life, your win also comes with a downside. We on the staff have decided to make a slight rule change for all contests going forward. If you win a contest, you will not be able to enter the following month's contest for that category. You are welcome to submit entries for the other categories in which you did not also win.

Andrew 19.83
Tau Worlock 16.67

Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Member: Tau Worlock
Title:

Mechanics: 4/5
Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 8/10

I like the image you present here, but as this is written write now, I get the feeling that it would be better expressed in prose. But Iím no poem expert. I think some of the lines are almost too short. I highly encourage you to keep working with this because I think it has potential!

Score: 16/20

Member: Andrew
Title: Silent Genocide

Mechanics: 5/5
Intangibles: 5/5
Overall Impression: 10/10

If your goal was to make the reader feel what you felt, I think you succeeded marvelously. Wonderful word choices. Normally, I like periods in poetry, but in this case the lack of it actually helped rather than hinderedóit kept me in the moment without rushing me. Well done!

Score: 20/20
Originally Posted by Queen of Wands View Post

Title: The bus stop cat

Overall Impression: 9/10

I really liked this. I could see the cat, its moves and behaviour. I felt I was there with you, watching this animal as it prowled the street near the bus stop. But there was a slight uneven quality about some of lines towards the end of the poem. That is the only thing that halted me from giving this perfect marks.

Overall Impression: 10/10

It is no secret that I am a great fan of your poetry, and once again you have delivered an astounding piece that smacks us in the face and refuses to be ignored. Your poem is harsh and painful to read, but the ending is brimming with hope. More and more, you sound like the Beat Poets; you are the conscience of our age. Thank you.
Originally Posted by aprilrain View Post
Title: The bus stop cat

Intangibles: 4/5
Overall Impression: 8/10

A great subject, since cats are so entertaining and unpredictable. I would have liked to have seen more detail, more words in each of the lines for flow and imagery, but I also appreciate the minimalist approach you have taken here.

Score: 16/20

Overall Impression: 9.5/10

This is a very strong, evocative poem that kept me captivated until the end. The description is horrifying and unapologetically detailed. Well done.

Score: 19.5/20

Old 11-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Andrew (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 3

I'm glad you all enjoyed my poem. Thank you for the inspiration and all the thorough critiques and the very kind words, Queen of Wands.

Until next time,
Andrew

Andrew Beutel
Secular Humanist
Free-lance journalist

Old 11-30-2007, 08:41 PM
Chloe (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to Chloe

Congratulations, Andrew. =)

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat Quarterly > Contest Central > Previous Contests