WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing

Publishing Ask and post advice about the publishing process. Discuss new media and options.

Smashwords Preview

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696
Default Smashwords Preview

Quick question.

Can you preview your work through Smashwords, and delay its release? As in, set it up and have it trigger to release on a certain day, or be able to go in and release it, rather than preview, post, release, one after the other.

I like to plan things ahead of time somewhat, and I don't want to release something that's formatted like crap, or have it released without my say-so.

I could look this up, but I figured I would pick someone's brain first before I went through and researched if this is possible.

Please do keep in mind that I'm super picky with everything, and I hate, hate, hate having something presented to others only half-complete, or stupid looking. That would piss me off.

Twisty mind candy:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:42 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Dammit! Looks like you have to stick it into their catalogue first, and then go back and preview. That sucks! I don't want it up there, waiting to be bought, have someone buy it and discover the formatting is all screwed up.

Dammit!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not do something, slapdash.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

I've tried this and it looks good.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:56 AM
Lin

Can't figure out what you are trying to do.
But you can unpublish work.
You could publish, grab the stuff to preview, then unpublish.

Gotta be quick though. I put up the first two pages of a graphic novel I publsished and some total asshole reviewed it!
Well, he said stuff like "What is this? Is this supposed to be abook?"

I told him the deal and asked him to remove it. He refused. So I started down the line of about 15 really stupid books he has up, dissing them and one starring them, one after another, each review mentioning that he was an asshole and I'd remove mine if he removed his.
Took awhile, incredibly enough.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:20 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Shit. See, that's what I'm trying to avoid, my uploading the file, going to preview it to make sure it doesn't look like a hunk of crap, and having someone download it in the meantime and go, "Ugh!"

I want to be able to preview and make formatting changes as needed WITHOUT having some ding-donghead downloading it when it's not quite ready yet. A week, two tops, is what I'd need to make sure everything looked right with my full length. A day for my collections, probably.

Doesn't seem to be an option to delay release, though, while the file is being tweaked. Maybe if I emailed someone in charge . . . although we've (we, being my husband and I) had such bad luck with people who were supposed to be knowledgeable about something basically saying to us, "Well, I don't know . . . gee, did you try flipping the switch? (Or turning the [insert stupid thing] on?)" Duh. I mean, really. We aren't stupid! But yeah, all right, so the simple questions are directed towards people with absolutely no clue. But when someone fairly describes in detail the whatever it is to the "knowledgeable" person on the help line . . . don't you think the person describing it in detail would have some clue as to whether or not the thing is turned on or plugged in? Ugh.

Anyway, maybe I'll contact someone at Smashwords. Sometimes there's a small, hidden method for doing something that not many people could handle, or something like that. Most things are pretty dumbed down, unfortunately.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Lin

Well, get in and out quick.
Maybe even have the blurb read "TESTING, Please Don't Download yet" or something.
But yeah, you can delay it. Just unpublish it. Then republish it again when it's ready.
And remember, you don't have to publish in all formats.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Dammit! Looks like you have to stick it into their catalogue first, and then go back and preview. That sucks! I don't want it up there, waiting to be bought, have someone buy it and discover the formatting is all screwed up.
Dammit!
Anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not do something, slapdash.
Hey Devon,

You are absolutely right to be concerned about how the formatting looks in an e-book. If it’s not right, you might have just as well made a million spelling errors. Before I ever consider reviewing a book, before I ever read one line, I check out the Kindle formatting. If it is not professional-looking, I will pass on it—no matter how good the writing or story may be. And even worse, I won’t ever give that author a second look—ever. They’d have to win the Pulitzer to change my mind about them.

So, it’s good to be concerned.

That being said, why are you going with Smashwords? What’s the draw? People read on Kindles, or Nooks or via aps for Kindles or Nooks, so why publish with Smashwords at all?

Bottom line is this, however, if your formatting is jacked, pull your novel. Please. You will go down the drain if you don’t. Just back up, regroup and rethink.

By the way, what’s your new book about?

Last edited by Edward G; 10-18-2012 at 09:19 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 11:13 PM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Originally Posted by Edward G View Post
That being said, why are you going with Smashwords? What’s the draw? People read on Kindles, or Nooks or via aps for Kindles or Nooks, so why publish with Smashwords at all?
Excuse me? What about the gazillion people in Europe and other countries of the world where the Kindle or Nook isn't the local flavour?

There actually are a lot of people who read on devices that require Epub files, which you cannot offer through Amazon.

Besides that going through Smashwords gets your book in the Kobo, B&N, and other stores, where Amazon doesn't get you that either.

I mean, there's a whole world outside of the US and Amazon, waiting for you to conquer with your book, if you just am willing to deliver it there. But if you settle for just one choice, you stand to lose a whole segment of readers who do not own a Nook or Kindle.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:24 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
Excuse me? What about the gazillion people in Europe and other countries of the world where the Kindle or Nook isn't the local flavour?

There actually are a lot of people who read on devices that require Epub files, which you cannot offer through Amazon.

Besides that going through Smashwords gets your book in the Kobo, B&N, and other stores, where Amazon doesn't get you that either.

I mean, there's a whole world outside of the US and Amazon, waiting for you to conquer with your book, if you just am willing to deliver it there. But if you settle for just one choice, you stand to lose a whole segment of readers who do not own a Nook or Kindle.
I don't know. If a book isn't going through a megapublisher and ending up in WalMart, Target, and B&N stores, then I'm not sure there's a lot of milage to be had outside of having a Kindle version, Nook version and paperback. When it comes to getting real distribution in other countries that don't use Kindles or Nooks, or their associated aps, I personally think it's better to sign with a traditional publisher in those countries and let them do the distribution.

IMHO
Old 10-18-2012, 11:27 PM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Then you must have never been outside of the US

Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Kindle doesn't offer the chance for something to be free. Smashwords does.

Yes, I could put it up on my publishing site and try to spread the word, but I'd like to be able to snag that random street person, too. Maybe. Depends. Lol.

If I could figure out how to discount something on Amazon, then I'd go that route. I'm still researching that. I think Lucky showed me a site where someone "couponed" their stuff and made it free.

But anyway. That's why. And I do have my reasons for not going to trad route, so I'm not digging up that issue again.

The book I'm working on currently (formatting-wise) is a Golden Retriever related collection. Just over . . . oh, 5K? 7K? I suppose I could offer it up for 99 cents on Kindle, but I just don't want to do that. I want to hook readers first (I have two other collections I'll be releasing before my full length in November of 2013) and then charge for my full length. Short collections are free.

No, I don't want to put them on a blog.

Edit: And I totally did not mean for that to sound mean. Lol! I have a blog; I just don't want my stories to drown within that blog, as it'll be for other musings. And I don't want a half-gazillion blogs all over the place. I have too much on my plate to remember as it is. So, Edward, it honestly wasn't a dig at your blovel. I'm actually looking forward to reading it when it starts.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 10-19-2012 at 02:53 AM..
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Then you must have never been outside of the US
What? Okay, there is this thing called a Sony Reader, are you telling me that people are all walking around Rome with Sony Readers?

Kindle doesn't offer the chance for something to be free. Smashwords does.

Yes, I could put it up on my publishing site and try to spread the word, but I'd like to be able to snag that random street person, too. Maybe. Depends. Lol.
Okay, sure, in that case, do whatever works.

If I could figure out how to discount something on Amazon, then I'd go that route. I'm still researching that. I think Lucky showed me a site where someone "couponed" their stuff and made it free.
Why does your book have to be for free? You could charge .99 for it. I don't mean to be insensitive here, but are you sure it's ready for publication? Because remember, once it's out there, you can't get it back once people have downloaded it, and it brands you for the better or worse.

But anyway. That's why. And I do have my reasons for not going to trad route, so I'm not digging up that issue again.
Oh, I wouldn't either. I think anyone going the trade route is a fool, unless some publisher is just dumping five figures in their lap as an advance and they don't have to sell the rights to their next four books for it. I think legacy publishing these days is a joke.

Not to digress, but blovels may change that a little. If an author is busy writing blovels and wants an agent and traditional publisher to handle the blooks that result from it (finished blovels that are removed from the blog and sold as books), that might be an exception. I'm not sure.

[the] book I'm working on currently (formatting-wise) is a Golden Retriever related collection. Just over . . . oh, 5K? 7K? I suppose I could offer it up for 99 cents on Kindle, but I just don't want to do that. I want to hook readers first (I have two other collections I'll be releasing before my full length in November of 2013) and then charge for my full length. Short collections are free.
Got it. Well, I'm a dog lover, so let me know when it's available in e-pub, or any other format.

No, I don't want to put them on a blog.

Edit: And I totally did not mean for that to sound mean. Lol! I have a blog; I just don't want my stories to drown within that blog, as it'll be for other musings.
I'm not Mr. Blog. I'm Mr. Blovel. Blovelists use blogs to create the story. Other than journalism, I see no other purposes for a blog. So, I agree with you.

And I don't want a half-gazillion blogs all over the place. I have too much on my plate to remember as it is. So, Edward, it honestly wasn't a dig at your blovel. I'm actually looking forward to reading it when it starts.
No, no. I'm not insulted. I agree. In the video I just posted on YouTube, in fact, I specifically argue against cutting and pasting finished works into a blog. That's not what a blovel is. A blovel uses a blog. It's part of the storytelling process. But once a blovel is finished, it has to be removed and published, otherwise it becomes a book on a blog, and that's a different thing altogether.

Here's a link to the YouTube video if you're interested. But just so you know, I completely agree with you. Do not throw your collection of stories away on a blog, you might as well keep it in a drawer. But again, do let me know when they're out.

http://youtu.be/yljT2BP5PnY
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

are you sure it's ready for publication?
Lol! I have to get ready to leave for a wedding, but I just have to say this: Fuck, yes, it's ready.

And did you friend me on FB? That was you, right?

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Edward, the world is bigger than just the US and Rome and there are a plethora of e-readers out there as there are people using them. If you would care to do your research you'd know.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Lol! I have to get ready to leave for a wedding, but I just have to say this: Fuck, yes, it's ready.
Well, good, then let us know when we can get it.

And did you friend me on FB? That was you, right?
Yes, but if you don't want to do that, I'm fine with that. My facebook is all open to the public and I just control what info I put on it, but for some they would rather be more private, and I understand that.

Have fun at the wedding. Get all drunk and act out, or they'll never remember you.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

Edward, the world is bigger than just the US and Rome and there are a plethora of e-readers out there as there are people using them. If you would care to do your research you'd know.
I don't really care to, thanks. Kindle and Nook, let's face it, are all that matter.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Yes, but if you don't want to do that, I'm fine with that. My facebook is all open to the public and I just control what info I put on it, but for some they would rather be more private, and I understand that.
No, no. That's fine. I'm trying to get myself out there and network for the sake of my collections and my full length releases next year. I welcome any and all public connections. Well, to a point, I suppose.

Have fun at the wedding. Get all drunk and act out, or they'll never remember you.
Thanks. I did. Well, I didn't do the second part because I don't drink. But I did have fun.

Why does your book have to be for free? You could charge .99 for it.
And in answer to this question: I'd considered it, but to me, it just seemed unfair (after some deliberation and after other people had pointed a few things out). The collections aren't more than around 7K at the very most for, like, one of them, and right now I'm reading a 99 cent novel that's really, really good. I mean really good. And she's indie published. Money isn't what drives me to write and get these collections out, so free is good for those. I will charge (very little) for my full length, only because I have several good friends who made me promise to sell it because they know how much work has (is, really) gone (going) into creating it, and they feel I should be compensated at least somewhat. And that's fine. The price will be moderate anyway, and if I can get it out successfully -- without looking like I tied it together with twine, staples, and tape -- then I'll be happy.

The collections, though . . . those, along with the forthcoming blog and Facebook networking, are to hook a potential readership. All free. People like free.

Twisty mind candy:

Last edited by Devon; 10-20-2012 at 03:07 AM..
Old 10-20-2012, 07:01 PM
Edward G (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 11

No, no. That's fine. I'm trying to get myself out there and network for the sake of my collections and my full length releases next year. I welcome any and all public connections. Well, to a point, I suppose.

Thanks. I did. Well, I didn't do the second part because I don't drink. But I did have fun.

And in answer to this question: I'd considered it, but to me, it just seemed unfair (after some deliberation and after other people had pointed a few things out). The collections aren't more than around 7K at the very most for, like, one of them, and right now I'm reading a 99 cent novel that's really, really good. I mean really good. And she's indie published. Money isn't what drives me to write and get these collections out, so free is good for those. I will charge (very little) for my full length, only because I have several good friends who made me promise to sell it because they know how much work has (is, really) gone (going) into creating it, and they feel I should be compensated at least somewhat. And that's fine. The price will be moderate anyway, and if I can get it out successfully -- without looking like I tied it together with twine, staples, and tape -- then I'll be happy.

The collections, though . . . those, along with the forthcoming blog and Facebook networking, are to hook a potential readership. All free. People like free.
Got it. That sounds like good reasoning, I suppose.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Thanks, Ed.

Looking forward to the 31st. *rubs hands*

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

How long in advance will you upload?

Old 10-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

I don't know. Depends. I don't know how long it'll take me to go through and make sure everything near-perfect and correct. I still have to talk to someone at Smashwords to see if that's possible anyway.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Hahaha, I know how you feel. I was so finished and ready with editing and formatting. Until our fantasic editor said that en editor's job is never done and that there are always things to be improved.
Shoot! and I'm back to reading my stories and even adding four more lines to one, to tweak the end a bit. They work! Yay.

But then a good friend looked at the Word .doc I had prepared for Smashwords and she found that for some parts the indents were gone! Yikes!

And then I read that it can take from a few minutes to 30 hours before it's available on Smashwords, to even a month before it's on Kobo and so on.

So, when do you think uploading is wise? When will you upload for Smashwords? If you can't preview.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

It's frustrating, to say the least. I hope I get an intelligent person in response to my (forthcoming) question about that. I hope they aren't all like "Oh, well, them's the breaks." because I'll just have to throttle him/her.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 06:16 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Yup! Them's the breaks little Missy. Ain't notin' gonna be done bout them

Old 10-21-2012, 07:11 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Pfft. Sez them.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 07:41 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Right! Ain't right it ain't.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Gah. What a sentence that was.

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 11:06 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

Tell me about it.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Devon (Offline)
Senior Moderator

Thanks 1,696

Breakthrough! HA!

Twisty mind candy:

Old 10-21-2012, 11:15 AM
luckyme (Offline)
The laughing one
Official Member

Thanks 704

What! Where? That ain't right, who sez them breaks bout to go through?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Publishing