WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Unfair Treatment of Protagonists By Authors?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:29 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Howdy DwayneA.

I'd suggest you do some research into 'dramatic tension'. It's the source of what moves the reader forward through a story. A well adjusted MC in a story with no challenges to fight against is boring and won't sell.

As to you personal experiences all I can really ask you is what the heck did you expect? wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:34 AM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

nobody else in my family had to endure what I had to! Like I said, they have it much easier and better off than I did, even during childhood. Whereas today, nothing has changed since childhood for me. It's as if the world made it clear to me from day one that there was no place in it for me. All of my struggles to make something of myself have all been in vain.

Everybody else, including fictional characters, triumph over their challenges. Yet, no matter how hard I try, my life situation refuses to change. Nothing I do matters.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 AM
copenhagen_dipz (Offline)
Dedicated Writer
Official Member

Thanks 27

Dwayne, if I could offer you one piece of advice it would be this: get the fuck out of Saskatchewan. Your profile says you're from Humbolt. I grew up not far from there. The god damn gap is a sinkhole and is capable of making anyone miserable. Canada is such a big, diverse and wonderful country; literally go anywhere else.

If you're struggling with mental health, then perhaps you should look up forums centered on that issue, or seek out someone you can speak to in real life about the topic. Writersbeat really isn't designed for that purpose.
max crash (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:09 AM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

I started this thread asking about why protagonists have such a hard time, and how I hate stories where the protagonist is a total outcast because it reminds me too much of my own situation.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Binx B

I'm sure the protagonists in those stories took some kind of action to overcome the obstacles they faced.

I hope you get the help you need, but you'll have to take the first step to change your situation.

Good luck, and I hope things improve for you.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:02 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

DwayneA.

Ye Gads, man, you join a writing forum, ask a valid question about writing and then go into your personal crap that borders on the suicidal!

Woe is you. Woe is me. Woe is all of us. All humanity is in a state of woe with occasional moments of happiness. Everyone alive has faced what you're facing. And all of us still alive figured out a way to stay alive in a state of woe.

If you can get out of yourself and think through it, you'll see that you have this in common with everyone else.

There are hundreds of forums on the net. Go to one where your mental picture of yourself will be appreciated. You're confused about what this forum is here for. If you want to write something, a piece of 'flash' or short story, based on your tale of woe and want advice on how well you wrote it, you've come to the right forum. The personal state of your being is not proper here. Do a search for 'feeling miserable' or 'loneliness' forums. Join the one that feels helpful.

As for WB, you should hit the road.

If you elect to take these comments as further proof of your tale of woe spiraling into a suicidal outcome, you need to wake up and then dream of something else.

So long and good luck to you. wrc

You're not dead 'til you're dead and when you are you won't know it. So, keep on writing and having fun.

Last edited by wrc; 07-10-2016 at 12:21 PM..
Old 07-10-2016, 12:07 PM
Unpredictabloo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

Ahem... I might point out that it's not the OP but the replyers who (for the most part) ignored the original question and instead jumped on attacking the OP's personal commentary.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unpredictabloo For This Useful Post:
Cricket Leaf (07-25-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 04:43 PM
Binx B

I think copenhagen_dipz did fine job of suggesting that DwayneA find another forum to talk about his issues -- and he managed to do it without coming off like a condescending asshole.

I think everyone here could probably learn from that.

Last edited by Binx B; 07-10-2016 at 04:48 PM..
Old 07-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Unpredictabloo (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 4

This thread is a clusterfuck.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 PM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

Originally Posted by Binx B View Post
I think copenhagen_dipz did fine job of suggesting that DwayneA find another forum to talk about his issues -- and he managed to do it without coming off like a condescending asshole.

I think everyone here could probably learn from that.
If you meant me when you said "condescending asshole" then I have only one thing to say in reply, and anytime you make comments to me about ANYTHING I will say the same thing...

"Say Goodnight, Gracie."

Old 07-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Binx B

Originally Posted by wrc View Post
"Say Goodnight, Gracie."
I had to look that up. Too bad you couldn't come up with something a little more relevant.

I guess you didn't notice DwayneA has been a member since 2011. And as far as I can see up until now, all his threads and posts have been about writing. That would indicate he knows the purpose of the forum.

And he's been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, so "everyone alive" hasn't faced what he's facing. I don't know how his Asperger's might affect his decision to vent his feelings in this thread, or how it effects his relationships or perceptions of them etc. But it's fairly obvious to me he's struggling, and since I'm not in his shoes, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Which is why I think it's pretty amazing that you would feel the need to berate and belittle the guy with your petty, self-righteous little lecture. Really, it was kind of disturbing — and pretty revealing too.

I know, I know — "Good night Gracie." How clever. Fifty years ago.

Last edited by Binx B; 07-11-2016 at 06:11 AM..
Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM
wrc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 230

"Say Goodnight, Gracie."

Old 07-25-2016, 03:42 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hi DwaiyneA,

Do you look for characters in stories that helps you to escape from the things that set you apart from others? Characters who aren't outcasts? In my case, I look for these kind for outcast characters because I can relate to them.

I am also diagnosed with a mild form of autism, but to me it can be pretty real in my day-to-day life. It can be frustrating to try and communicate with people. I am even at risk of getting lost in buildings if no one is around to help me.

To top it all off, I have always done things later then most people. In one of my high schools, I was even segregated. That's why I didn't graduate until I was twenty years old. I will also need to become independent one step at a time, but since I'm in a military family, I can't start living on my own until my dad retires so that I don't get left behind from a posting. I will be twenty five when that will happen. Unfortunately, age has often rubbed me the wrong way. I don't want it to, but it does. That is why I make the age of the characters I write subjective. The only thing I know is that the main characters are young adults in their twenties. They will still age and grow along with me, but I'll try not to make it too obvious.

I believe that fiction stories can help us cope in the real world when characters experience similar struggles. Also, something my mum always says is "write what you know about". What you wrote here was very passion-filled, and I can kind of relate to it in some ways. I believe that an author's mission is to connect with his/her readers in a relatable way. Escaping from reality shouldn't be the focal point.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-25-2016 at 08:28 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cricket Leaf For This Useful Post:
max crash (07-25-2016), Unpredictabloo (07-28-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 12:52 PM
DwayneA (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 4

I can relate to the segregation you speak of. Years ago, when I lived in the city for a few years, I was going to go back to school to get my grade 12, but I was ultimately denied admission simply because of Aspergers!

Gettting diagnosed with Aspergers was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. It was like getting slapped with a criminal record for a crime that was never even committed!

The worst part is these days for a very long time now even my own dreams are tormenting me.
The Following User Says Thank You to DwayneA For This Useful Post:
Cricket Leaf (07-29-2016)
Old 07-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Cricket Leaf (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 8

Hi DwayneA,

'Denied'? That's actually pretty low. To think that some places will not allow some of us to complete our education. Every city treats people diagnosed with challenges differently. Believe me, I know about these problems all too well.

You mentioned that for you, your autism diagnosis was like getting 'slapped with a criminal record'. Lately, in my case, it seems like an I.D. that I'm required to show in order to be treated with the patience I need. There are places where I have been trying to keep it a secret in hopes that people will take the initiative to get to know me. Me, aside from my slow reaction to questions, and awkwardness when trying to express things verbally.

Well, let's see... around the beginning of this summer I wrote a short fiction story. Through that story, I expressed where I am right know, the problems I'm facing, but with a hint for possible hope in the future. I've heard people say that writing about your troubles helps you to feel better. For me, I think they came to the surface. I felt my problems a lot more, but I'm not sorry that I wrote it. It's hard to explain. Maybe that could be what you are experiencing from reading stories you can relate to?

Either way, I don't think there is anything wrong with feeling that way. I mean, we don't have control over how we feel, but expressing feelings in a productive or communicative way is very important. I'm so glad to see that I'm not alone in this world.

Last edited by Cricket Leaf; 07-31-2016 at 08:44 AM..

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues