WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

when did you come of age?

Old 04-27-2016, 05:16 AM
Binx B

Stung? More like being poked with an old, overcooked piece of asparagus.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:10 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 871

Amazing wit.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 AM
CandraH

I'm still waiting.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:05 AM
Binx B

I think it's a process—and it probably shouldn't end for anyone who has some amount of self-awareness.

Coming of age all at once due to some set of extraordinary circumstance makes for good fiction, but I don't think it happens very often in real life.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 AM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

okay, we can go with that, a person has several times, in their life, where they 'reach the next plateau of understanding'

in my opinion all of these stages of self awareness leave tracks, scars, memories, ect.

so, can you track back to the first time you noticed hitting a new plateau and attribute some action you do or don't do today to that time. something you do or don't do, in spite of common sense.

has the first plateau contributed more to the you that exist today than any of the rest?

how about a easier question, do the traumas of childhood, that may have seemed like good times at the time, play a bigger part in your life today than the lessons of other plateau you have hit as you aged.

did you ever see a chicken killed and dressed for Sunday dinner. how did it effect you. are you or do you kill your Sunday dinner, or thank goodness that you bought on already cut up and packaged ready to cook. how about option three, we'll stop at a restaurant and eat on the way home.

I could ramble on but I think you get what I'm asking.

Max Crash

Last edited by max crash; 04-28-2016 at 07:32 AM..
Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 407

I saw my mom suck dick for crack, the only reason it bothered me is because she never sucked the dick to keep a roof over our heads.

Something like that Max?

Courtesy of BP
Old 04-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Binx B

From what I've gathered, that's the kind of thing that can make you a serial killer. If you haven't murdered anyone yet, good for you!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 407

That's the least of it... One of my professors asked me why I don't write nonfiction, I told him because the whole world would freak out...

But no, I haven't killed anyone and I don't want to.

Courtesy of BP
Old 04-28-2016, 01:19 PM
Binx B

If you're in recovery and you're really involved, you hear it all. Not just from the kids, but from the people who actually do those things to their kids, and they're trying to live with it.

It's hard to shock me, but that doesn't mean I'm jaded. Far from it. And you think you had it bad because your dad showed up drunk to your little league game until you hear something like that or worse. It kind of puts things in perspective.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
daes13 (04-28-2016)
Old 04-28-2016, 01:40 PM
daes13 (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 407

Yeah, I've heard some stories that would put the worst of mine to shame. But I never look at it negatively. I'm weird. We dream every night and don't give a shit, but a nightmare makes us feel alive!

Courtesy of BP
The Following User Says Thank You to daes13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Bagit (Offline)
Dungeon Keeper
Administration

Thanks 491

Lost my mom to cancer when I was fourteen. I consider that my age of adult awakening and having to take on responsibility.

Looking at nudie books at eleven was merely sexual awakening...
Old 04-28-2016, 06:19 PM
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 404

I guess it counts if you did it to yourself too.

fraudulent enlistment in the army, next stop; Vietnam, I was so angry all I wanted to do was kill, and I can't tell you why. a blocked memory I guess.

killed seven men, I have trouble thing of them as men, that I counted two nights later. Went zombie over the next week and started to collect finger bones to make a bracelet.

I was wounded and wanted to die.

they found out I was sixteen and kept my purple heart.

I was in the nam 84 days.

I think I must be a sociopath, but something keeps me in line, but I haven't killed anyone since I left government service 22 years ago.

let me add that in some dark corner of my mind I would like for trump to be elected, I'm tired of waiting for Armageddon.

woooo, that was a trip down bad memory lane.

it's all fiction of course or I wish it was.

max crash
Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 PM
wyf (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 126

I was going to say 12, when I 'became a woman' (sick euphemism) but after I read Prodigal and Binx's posts I realised it was when I was 27, when I had a heart attack.

Up til then things happened to me. I had no control over some of them, and I was rudderless and drifted from one situation to another.

I thought my life was an amazing adventure for a while, fuelled by cocaine, , a little heroin, pills, champagne and vodka, but the heart attack made me grow up and put my life into perspective. That was when I woke up and stopped running away from myself.

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe