WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues

Writing Help & Issues You name it, we solve it! Ask your questions here.

Punctuation

Old 04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Netti (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 20
Default Punctuation

Ok, for the record I did look at the punctuation threads. Could anyone please tell me if the following sentence is right as far as punctuation goes? Thanks.

Over time, death has been many things; dark and skeletal or inconspicuously human; kind or indifferent.

I really don't think this is right but I'm horrible with punctuation so some help would really be appreciated.

"You do not have soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~ C.S. Lewis
Old 04-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Paco (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 150

I would write it like this: Over time, death has been many things: kind or indifferent, dark and skeletal or inconspicuously human. I only wish I knew what it means.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Netti (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 20

I'm writing an essay about death personified in literature.
Thanks.

"You do not have soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
~ C.S. Lewis
Old 04-11-2009, 03:35 PM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

I agree with Paco. However, I was taught that semicolons are used to separate items in a list if they a) follow a colon or b) contain commas within the items. Yours would be a mix of both cases, assuming I'm reading your intent correctly:

Over time, death has been many things: dark and skeletal or inconspicuously human; kind or indifferent.

Over time, death has been many things: dark and skeletal or inconspicuously human; kind or indifferent.

The comma brings some sense to the first either/or/and statement. Which sense you want is up to you.

EDIT: I was about to suggest alternate punctuation, like ellipses and dashes, but they're too casual for an essay.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoiLei For This Useful Post:
Netti (04-11-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Echo75 (Offline)
Eloquent Troll
Official Member

Thanks 38
Default Hi

Hi Netti,

The semi-colon is the problem. I would write it like this:

Over time, death has been many things: dark and skeletal or inconspicuously human, kind, or indifferent.

In using "over time", do you mean historically? "Historically, death has been many things: " would read better, as "Over time" relates to the passing of time and really warrants "death has become many things".

I disagree that dashes are too "casual" for an essay. Dashes are entirely formal and useful punctuation marks and you can generally substitute a dash for a colon (although a dash signifies more of a pause than a colon, so can be used for more dramatic effect. Sometimes a dash can also imply a sudden change of direction, rather than a summation such as we see here).

Cheers
Karin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Echo75 For This Useful Post:
Netti (04-17-2009)
Old 04-16-2009, 11:54 AM
HoiLei (Offline)
Draw, o coward!

Thanks 484

Originally Posted by Echo75 View Post
I disagree that dashes are too "casual" for an essay.
Really? It depends on the college, I suppose. Punctuation preferences vary from teacher to teacher, and certainly around the world.

I know dashes have a long and proud history of use by the best authors, and I wish I could use them in essays, but my professors regard them much like chat-speak or comic book sound effects. (Come to think of it, m-dashes feature prominantly in comic books. "You don't mean--" KERPOW! ) I suspect many professors don't know how to use them, so they assume that dashes are wrong. I've lost points over them in the past, so now I don't risk it.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

You too, eh, HoiLei? I discovered through much confusion that dashes are not appreciated in the world of academic writing, and I'm clueless as to why. My theory is that they just want bare-bones, functional writing. Nothing fancy or attractive like in fiction--just an information-conveying medium. Man, and scientists used to write their notes in verse. Why can't academic writing be information-conveying and pretty? Bah.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Well, that may be, but I'd fight to the death with those people if they dare to reject something merely because it has dashes - after all, without them, we'd be left with equivocal sentences. At times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-17-2009, 04:51 AM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 324

Allow me to introduce you to my research writing teacher, SW, and I'll oil up the dueling sabres.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:12 AM
Night Wanderer (Offline)
Midnight nomad

Thanks 252

She (WB and I have the same one) took off 20 points for the 'Mechanics' grade because I used a couple of emdashes and semicolons. Apparently she doesn't understand either of them. Everything else mechanics-wise was perfect, but I still got a 4 instead of a 5 because of her personal preferences. I mean, if I'd used them liberally, maybe I'd understand, but...I had maybe two emdashes and four semicolons in the whole ten pages. *mutters something to self about pitchforks*

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues