WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

The Writers Strike is over

Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 AM
maylet (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to maylet
Default The Writers Strike is over

Writers Vote to End Strike
By MICHAEL CIEPLY
Published: February 13, 2008

LOS ANGELES — Hollywood’s writers made it official on Tuesday night, voting to end their bitterly fought strike at the 100-day mark by an overwhelming margin.
Of 3,775 writers who cast ballots, 92.5 percent voted in favor of ending the strike. Officials of the Writers Guild of America West and the Writers Guild of America East disclosed results of the tally here an hour after voting closed at 6 p.m.

“The strike is over. Our membership has voted, and writers can go back to work,” Patric M. Verrone, president of the West Coast guild, said in a statement.

The decision to end the strike became all but inevitable after the guilds’ governing boards on Sunday unanimously approved the tentative three-year agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, following strong expressions of support at mass meetings on both coasts.

Union members must still decide whether to ratify the contract in coming days. But Tuesday’s vote to end the strike brought relief to an industry that wants to get its television productions and future movie schedules back in order.

Wednesday morning will bring a rush to the office by television writers who are especially eager to get existing series like the CBS comedy “Two and a Half Men” and the ABC drama “Grey’s Anatomy” quickly up to speed.

The strike upended the television viewing habits of millions of Americans by shutting down production on most dramas and comedies and forced movie studios to halt some big-budget films. It also dried up the livelihoods of not just the 12,000 guild members but tens of thousands of people who rely on such productions for work.

How much economic damage was wrought by the walkout has been subject to debate.

Writers predicted that the strike would cause $2.5 billion in economic losses if it continued to the five-month mark, as did their 1988 strike. But a report from the Anderson School of Management at the University of California, Los Angeles, estimated losses for a strike of that length at only about $380 million, because companies had already spent heavily to stockpile programs and other factors.

As of Tuesday afternoon, a running tally by the producers’ alliance estimated that the walkout had cost writers about $285 million in lost wages and had cost workers in other film unions nearly $500 million.

The strike’s end appeared to make a walkout by Hollywood’s actors less likely when their contract expires June 30. The actors’ unions have not yet opened negotiations; but the road map for digital media compensation laid out in recent agreements with both writers and directors raised the prospect that similar solutions could work with actors.

The writers’ dispute was settled when company executives — notably Peter Chernin, the News Corporation president, and Robert A. Iger, the Walt Disney chief executive — opened talks with Mr. Verrone, along with David J. Young, executive director of the West Coast guild, and John Bowman, who headed the unions’ negotiating committee. A crucial break came when the two sides created a provision that provides the guilds a gain in the payment for digital distribution of entertainment beyond the terms of a recent deal between Hollywood producers and the Directors Guild of America.

Leslie Moonves, chief executive of CBS, said Hollywood executives might do well to spend more time with guild leaders in coming months, if peace is to prevail in the long term. “The lesson is, we shouldn’t meet every three years,” he said.

Here is the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/bu...=5&oref=slogin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Icarus (Offline)
Out of the Park
Official Member

Thanks 3

Thanks, maylet!

|
|
|
Old 02-13-2008, 07:27 PM
maylet (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 4
Send a message via MSN to maylet

You welcome, Icarus

Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 AM
Project_Xii (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 0

Thank god. I was beginning to worry that Scrubs 7 and Dexter 3 would never be made!!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:01 AM
starrwriter (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 4

Originally Posted by Project_Xii View Post
Thank god. I was beginning to worry that Scrubs 7 and Dexter 3 would never be made!!
Another Scrubs fanatic like myself. Funniest show ever on TV. I'm cranky if I don't get my daily dose of reruns. They're still hysterically funny after I have seen them half a dozen or more times.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

They are the exact fears I had... I was worrying about Grey's anatomy. but then I discovered Dexter...

Scrubs is amazing. Gotta love E4... (British channel that shows 2 episodes a day)

Cheers for the article Maylet!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Lost Traveler (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

All I care about is LOST and thank God it is returning.

Without words
without writing and without books there would be no history, there could be no concept of humanity.

Hermman
Herman Hesse

Old 02-17-2008, 11:30 AM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

never cared for lost. It's Lord of the FLies with none of the charm and if it dragged on for as long as lord of the rings without any sign of conclusion.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:01 PM
Lost Traveler (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by kal View Post
never cared for lost. It's Lord of the FLies with none of the charm and if it dragged on for as long as lord of the rings without any sign of conclusion.
It will be complete in 2010.

For such a literary board I thought more members would be interested in this show.

Without words
without writing and without books there would be no history, there could be no concept of humanity.

Hermman
Herman Hesse

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

why? it's a tv show not a book. like the two i just mentioned.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Lost Traveler (Offline)
Typist
Official Member

Thanks 0

Originally Posted by kal View Post
why? it's a tv show not a book. like the two i just mentioned.
Actually there are similarities between LOTF and LOST but reason I love LOST is because it often makes reference to classical and modern literature.

It's also the only show I watch so pardon my fanboyism.

Without words

Hermman
Herman Hesse

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe