WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

Reading the wrong type of books

Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 PM
Redlorry

Default Reading the wrong type of books

Arghhh, my eight year old daughter has just started the first assignment of her half-term homework, to keep a journal of her week.

We talked about what has happened today and what she might like to include. Teachers guidance prompts her to recall her literacy targets using captial letters and full stops.

She has just shown me her account of the day... She is currently reading 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid', she's completely captured by it and has started writing her own story in that style. She's adopted the same style for her school journal... Here are a few of her sentences.

"Morning picked mum up from work.

Afternoon went shopping for a present for mum's friend's baby girl.

Evening was egg and toast for tea."

Perhaps it is not just the texting culture which is affecting ourt language and writing skills. Perhaps it is some literature too. I support her reading any book she wants to, but I really didn't expect this. We've had to cross out half a page and I've written a note to her teacher to explain what's happened.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:50 PM
fleamailman (Online)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 3,828

Teachers guidance prompts her to recall her literacy targets using capital letters and full stops.
("...well yes, I suppose all children should learn how to write correctly, and all parents should set an example too..." mentioned the goblin, adding "...um, well don't look at me now, I mean I'm not one of you humans anyway, besides n0bie is all written in capital letters and full stops anyway...", but then the goblin remembered that many writers here belonged to the swashbuckling pens tilted at windmills epoch, where n0bie would be an unknown now, so he added a link to help them advance their literary pursuits, saying "...yes, anything to help...")

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/t...reviations.asp

Last edited by fleamailman; 10-24-2011 at 01:05 PM..
Old 10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Redlorry

said the tired parent.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I'm wondering is there anything wrong with her trying out different literary styles? My daughter tends to write along the lines of what she is into at the time. When it was Shakespeare she was more flowery and used thees, thous, thines etc Likewise when she is in the mood she uses txt speak.

I know we have more freedom, but personally I believe in my kids reading the good, the bad and the ugly - or whatever else they find on the shelves.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM
bumhead (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 276

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post

Perhaps it is not just the texting culture which is affecting ourt language and writing skills. Perhaps it is some literature too.
I made my kids read chaucer from age 4. when asked by teachers to describe their day..

ffayth thiyn serffin 'a poxeth frayn downth ye trivayyylff! wyth boons o' aiyse iv ress't'
Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 PM
TylerDF (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 10

kids today (and i use that term loosely) are braindead. check your facebook newsfeed for evidence.
why you might ask?
even those who DO read soak up mindless crap.
literature today is dominated by shitty vampire soaps, tom clancy bullshit, and the autobiographies of idiots (see snooki's sales). the excuse "at least they're reading" is officially void.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerDF For This Useful Post:
Mr.Gryn (10-28-2011)
Old 10-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Redlorry

Nothing wrong with it at all Anya, she writes loads of stories that are nothing to do with her school work and those are normally in whatever style she happens to be reading.

However, the teacher will be marking this particular homework according to the 'Literacy Rules' they are being taught. In the case of these sentences she has written there is no 'proper' sentence structure.

Last edited by Redlorry; 10-24-2011 at 11:57 PM..
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

Did the teacher respond to you at all ?
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Redlorry

Still half term here. She's back on Monday. Homework has to be handed in by Wednesday. We shall see... I will let you know.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:01 AM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I am curious because it seems unfair to penalised for following a literary style in a book she is reading.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Redlorry

Yes, but she is reading the book by choice and it was purely coincidence that she happened to be reading a journal style book when the half-term homework set was to write a5-day journal applying school set 'Literacy targets'
Old 10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
CandraH

So whats the problem?

Why not just get her to rewrite the journal "correctly"? That way, she doesn't get shown up by her teacher for being influenced by a random book she's reading, and you don't have to get into longwinded explanations about why you had to score through half her page.

Anyway, arent the explanations better aimed at your daughter than her teacher? She's the one who's learning after all (your daughter, not the teacher).
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Redlorry

Oh, absolutely, we talked to her about why she has to do it another way and she has re-written the journal. However it is all in her home learning log, so the teacher can see that day one was written and crossed out. I feel I need to write a note in the journal to explain why it was written the way it was at first.

I think it is better for the teacher to see what has happened and understand why the journal was not written as it should have been from the start.

I was always told by my own teacher that they prefer to see the crossings out so they can see how and why I went wrong.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:01 PM
CandraH

Ah, cool. Like the workings we had to show in our jotters for maths calculations.

Still, I don't think you needed to get on a high horse about appropriate reading material for kids by complaining about the quality of punctuation and sentence structure in the one your daughter was influenced by.

Language and its written version is changing all the time and I think some people like to use modern methods of communication as a bench mark to point out how much better their own education was back in the days of real writing. Not saying thats you, Lorry, just that thats what I thought about when I read this thread's title and the posts in it.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
AnyaKimlun (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 1,456

I think you did the right thing - that way if a teacher gets another one that looks that way she has an idea what has happeed.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Redlorry

Candra - Didn't think I was on my high horse - I certainly didn't mean to come across that way, sorry. I was just observing that where as all reading is considered positive, the style of writing in children's books can sometimes confuse them, especially when they are trying to learn about grammar and sentence structure etc.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
CandraH

Ah, but see, thats where you come in as the parent, and the teachers in her school. You all get to be even more tired because you have to cover complicated spelling/punctuation/style issues in her books because our language and writing is a world of individualistic fun.

Suck it up, girly!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
Redlorry

Yeah, yeah...

She's actually writing her own story in Diary of Wimpy Kid style. It's her own freetime and hobby. She can do anything she likes with it and she's grasped the concept and style incredibly well.

Sort of like me and work. There I have to write planned and structured articles and reports. I have to use corporate language and tone. It hurts... but rules is rule.

With my writing... my rules, Hah!

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe