WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.


Agnostics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old 09-16-2017, 09:11 PM
Loser&Loner's Avatar
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: By the sea
Posts: 153
Thanks: 19
Thanks 17
Default


Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
What's wrong with feeding any creature? If might lead you to feeding people instead of being such a selfish bastard.
Lol are you the guy who "saved" that baby Bison at Yellowstone Natural park by putting it in your van because you thought it was cold? That same baby bison who was later rejected by his herd because of that "selfless act?" Educate yourself.

__________________
My words are edible
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 09-17-2017, 12:26 AM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Turn the coin over once and a while instead of spouting the same old stupidity. You'll find both a heads and a tails. It will work wonders for you. And,then, you'll finally get on to the serious side of living your life. That's all I'm saying.

Go to the park with a loaf of bread to feed pigeons. Or visit a homeless shelter to pass plates of food to the hungry.
So you're admitting there are hungry people in the world? Who created the world to be this way?

Why am I wrong to point this out and you are right when you point this out?

Am I wrong because I admit these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly for their whole lives, but you are right because you state that these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly but because you believe in a God this makes it alright?
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 09-17-2017, 01:41 AM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,841
Thanks: 361
Thanks 846
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
By the way, I always wanted to ask you this: Are you that "JoeMatt" character? Such strong similarities. If I had to make a bet, I'd place a small wager you are him.


Well, you're late to the party.
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 09-17-2017, 01:46 AM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,841
Thanks: 361
Thanks 846
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
So you're admitting there are hungry people in the world? Who created the world to be this way?



Why am I wrong to point this out and you are right when you point this out?



Am I wrong because I admit these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly for their whole lives, but you are right because you state that these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly but because you believe in a God this makes it alright?


Don't worry PB. There's a good explanation for all this suffering. You see, the Lord rewards those that do 'right' and punishes those that do 'wrong'. It's simple. And while it's sad to see suffering, those poor people gotta start gettin' right with the lord.

Kirk Cameron has a YouTube video on the whole thing. I'd link it here, but it makes me vomit just to look at him.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
Loser&Loner (09-17-2017), PickleBottom (09-17-2017)
  #95  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:34 AM
Loser&Loner's Avatar
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: By the sea
Posts: 153
Thanks: 19
Thanks 17
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Don't worry PB. There's a good explanation for all this suffering. You see, the Lord rewards those that do 'right' and punishes those that do 'wrong'. It's simple. And while it's sad to see suffering, those poor people gotta start gettin' right with the lord.

Kirk Cameron has a YouTube video on the whole thing. I'd link it here, but it makes me vomit just to look at him.
e

You are easily my favorite person on this site.
__________________
My words are edible
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:39 AM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 751
Thanks: 119
Thanks 151
Default

I think you should know God just appeared to me in a vision and told me to tell y'all he couldn't give a fuck what any of you wankers call yourselves. And he said he's really bored with all the complaints so quit bothering him and get a life, OK?
__________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Loser&Loner's Avatar
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: By the sea
Posts: 153
Thanks: 19
Thanks 17
Default

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
I think you should know God just appeared to me in a vision and told me to tell y'all he couldn't give a fuck what any of you wankers call yourselves. And he said he's really bored with all the complaints so quit bothering him and get a life, OK?
He?
__________________
My words are edible
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 09-17-2017, 03:57 AM
Loser&Loner's Avatar
Loser&Loner (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: By the sea
Posts: 153
Thanks: 19
Thanks 17
Default

And telling a bunch of writers to get a life is like telling a fat person to go on a diet- it's not going to happen.
__________________
My words are edible
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 09-17-2017, 04:47 AM
flyingtart's Avatar
flyingtart (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 751
Thanks: 119
Thanks 151
Default

Originally Posted by Loser&Loner View Post
He?
Blame the limitations of language. He/she/it looked pretty sexless to be honest. A bit like the Dalai Lama in drag.

Originally Posted by Loser&Loner View Post
And telling a bunch of writers to get a life is like telling a fat person to go on a diet- it's not going to happen.
Couldn't agree more, but he/she/it was more interested in when the bars opened than discussing the issue. Not the sort of attitude you'd expect from a deity, but hey ho.
__________________
I am not young enough to know everything.
Oscar Wilde
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 09-17-2017, 05:45 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 337
Thanks 353
Default

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Don't worry PB. There's a good explanation for all this suffering. You see, the Lord rewards those that do 'right' and punishes those that do 'wrong'. It's simple. And while it's sad to see suffering, those poor people gotta start gettin' right with the lord.

Kirk Cameron has a YouTube video on the whole thing. I'd link it here, but it makes me vomit just to look at him.
Kirk Cameron just commented on the last two big hurricanes.

He said God huffs and he puffs and blows houses down to teach us all humility and repentance.

I guess if you're already humble and repentant and you just happen to be in the way -- tough shit.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (09-17-2017)
  #101  
Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 337
Thanks 353
Default

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
I think you should know God just appeared to me in a vision and told me to tell y'all he couldn't give a fuck what any of you wankers call yourselves.
That's pretty much what I said.

Great to know I'm on the same page with The Almighty.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
flyingtart (09-17-2017)
  #102  
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
So you're admitting there are hungry people in the world? Who created the world to be this way?

Why am I wrong to point this out and you are right when you point this out?

Am I wrong because I admit these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly for their whole lives, but you are right because you state that these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly but because you believe in a God this makes it alright?
When you peddle your beliefs as "truths," you are swimming in the same lake Hitler and other tyrants swam in. Just because you haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary, doesn't mean others haven't and doesn't mean their experiences should be dismissed as "rubbish." You yourself are limited by your senses; therefore, all your life experiences are perceived through your senses. But, not everyone is limited as you are (have you looked around lately -- there are more than eight billion of us sharing the planet).

And those who have the mental capacity to hear or to see beyond the senses shouldn't be labeled "frauds." What is all your paranoia about? Just because you have trained your own mind to look no farther than its own senses, doesn't mean others haven't be born with the ability to do so or have trained their minds to do so. What I have noticed from small-minded atheists (not all) is their uptightness whenever a person speaks about the paranormal. Usually, one of their techniques is to try to make the person appear either foolish or crazy.

I found a quote by William Butler Yeats which reveals some insight into his personality:

"Certain things had happened to me when alone in my room which convinced me that their are spiritual intelligences which can warn us and advise us."

I can type tens of thousands of similar quotes like his from people from all walks of life. In my own case, had it not been from a warning from beyond, my life span on earth would have been cut short about 45 years old. I'm not looking to change your mind. If you are comfortable where you are, stay there. But, don't go peddling your beliefs as truths. Personally, I run from that type -- really fast. Nazis and white supremacy are the first things that come to mind. They engaged in the same game -- pushing their beliefs as "truths" and eliminating the opposite. Only you cannot kill the opposition so you mock or belittle whoever doesn't believe as you do. Scary.

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-18-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-18-2017)
  #103  
Old 09-18-2017, 02:51 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
So you're admitting there are hungry people in the world? Who created the world to be this way?

Why am I wrong to point this out and you are right when you point this out?

Am I wrong because I admit these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly for their whole lives, but you are right because you state that these poor people will suffer for no reason and needlessly but because you believe in a God this makes it alright?
Furthermore, your argument is ridiculous. How can you make a connection between God and poverty? In the United States of America, if a person doesn't want to work, he or she can visit a social service office to apply for food stamps and welfare. Now what do you (or God, for that matter) have to do with another person's laziness? And how can you attribute all the world's misery and suffering to God when it was created through the mind's of ignorant people, people who lust for power and material wealth. You need to put blame where it belongs -- by the right feet. You also could do yourself a favor by analyzing the state of your own mind. You happen to be way off base and happen to be on a football field too. And just because someone stamps a "thank you for this useful post" beneath your writing means writing means shit. In fact, they may be worsening your situation because they are encouraging you to remain blind.

I'll tip my cap to you because you are "book smart." But having knowledge from a book and having knowledge through experience are as different as a cat and a dog. So, please try to understand that. Because anyone born with a silver spoon up his or her ass and then shipped off to a fine university to be half-brainwashed and trained for a worldly position isn't the same as a person who spent an entire lifetime at the bedside of dying individuals. That's why I say -- you know squat. But, where there's life there is hope.

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-18-2017 at 02:58 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-18-2017)
  #104  
Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 PM
Lockette's Avatar
Lockette (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 143
Thanks: 14
Thanks 44
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
When you peddle your beliefs as "truths," you are swimming in the same lake Hitler and other tyrants swam in. *First injection: That street goes both ways.*

* Ok, so the Nazi movement was originally a movement based on the German term Lebenstrom, which is basically the belief that to expand as a country one needs space. After WW1 Germany lost a lot of the land it had gained in the war, and much more. So the residents of Germany were cramped. Extremely.The economy was in shambles. They needed more space. Hitler rallied the Germans around him and became the Dictator. The Jew killing was because many of the high paying jobs (doctors, lawyers, the like) happened to be Jewish. "If it wasn't for the filthy Jew down the road Victor could be a doctor!" The bull with the Aryan race was about keeping Jewish blood out of the German population. He was a tyrant, he was responsible for the slaughter of 6 million people. But he never really forced his belief on others. The German people accepted it willingly. Correct me if incorrect. Nazi Germany is an interesting subject to read.*


Just because you haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary, doesn't mean others haven't and doesn't mean their experiences should be dismissed as "rubbish." You yourself are limited by your senses

*As are billions of others, yet a majority of them still believe in a god. Or gods, for the Buddhists out there. *;

therefore, all your life experiences are perceived through your senses. But, not everyone is limited as you are

*No, but I'm willing to bet most are*

(have you looked around lately -- there are more than eight billion of us sharing the planet).

And those who have the mental capacity to hear or to see beyond the senses shouldn't be labeled "frauds."

*No, but neither should people who disagree be labeled as stupid and unable to see the will of God.*

What is all your paranoia about? Just because you have trained your own mind to look no farther than its own senses, doesn't mean others haven't be born with the ability to do so or have trained their minds to do so.

*On a totally unrelated note, you can train your mind to see visions? Gnarly!*

What I have noticed from small-minded atheists (not all) is their uptightness whenever a person speaks about the paranormal. Usually, one of their techniques is to try to make the person appear either foolish or crazy.

*This is because most atheists are scared to realize that there may be a god. It's why I'm not an atheist.*

I found a quote by William Butler Yeats which reveals some insight into his personality:

"Certain things had happened to me when alone in my room which convinced me that their are spiritual intelligences which can warn us and advise us."


I can type tens of thousands of similar quotes like his from people from all walks of life.

* As I could type the same number of quotes from agnostics or atheists.*

In my own case, had it not been from a warning from beyond, my life span on earth would have been cut short about 45 years old. I'm not looking to change your mind. If you are comfortable where you are, stay there.

But, don't go peddling your beliefs as truths.

*But isn't that what organized religion does? "Those who do not believe in the big G will all be punished." Even local churches do this. Notice how the preacher gives his sermon, he doesn't have any maybe's or ifs. It's all true. The bible is right. Anything that contradicts this is completely incorrect.

Personally, I run from that type -- really fast.

* You run a lot then?*

Nazis and white supremacy are the first things that come to mind.

*Along with The Crusades*

They engaged in the same game -- pushing their beliefs as "truths" and eliminating the opposite.
Only you cannot kill the opposition so you mock or belittle whoever doesn't believe as you do.

*As does the other side. I've had people call me idiotic and stupid for being an atheist (although that view has changed)*

Scary.
I will inject myself into the quotes, which will be marked by astericks. I apoligize for any offense taken, it probably wasn't intended.
__________________
I am Siegmeyer of Catarina, and you shall feel my wrarh!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by Lockette View Post
I will inject myself into the quotes, which will be marked by astericks. I apoligize for any offense taken, it probably wasn't intended.
Lockette, I don't know the percentages, but not all the Germens willingly accept Hitler. Some had even tried to assassinate him. And a vast number who went along with him did it through "fear" of being killed themselves had they refused.

As far as the Crusade thing goes. The real reason behind the Crusades was that their were so many unemployed soldiers roaming around Europe that the Pope feared they make take aim at his empire so he sent them to a faraway place to get rid of them.

Most people believe in God through faith. But a vast number of believers have had experiences with "the other side." Still, just because I may see an apparition or hear a discarnate voice, doesn't make me an expert on God. It just draws me a little closer God. Personally, through so many super natural occurrences, which I am so fortunate to have experienced, I am a staunch believer. But, I won't tell anybody what to believe. We take this journey alone. We learn more when we experience things ourselves.

Yes, most are limited by their senses. But, should those who are capable of "piercing the veil" be dismissed because they are in the minority. People want to talk about "truth." But, you know what? "Truth" isn't governed by numbers. The majority has nothing to do with "truth." You may have 1,000 people standing in a group -- all lying. And a single person standing alone telling the "truth."

My beliefs are mine. Yours are yours. They are just that -- our "own" beliefs. They cannot both be the "truth" for anybody other than ourselves. Therefore, for him to say to "everyone" that there isn't any God because "he knows." Then, I say that he is definitely wrong. In his own mind, yes, he is right -- there isn't any God. Just as, in my own mind, yes, I am right -- there is a God. But, once anyone starts peddling individual beliefs as universal "truths," things can become ugly pretty quickly. Because that is a page right out of Hitler's and nearly every other tyrant's playbook.

Who cares that he is an atheist. I hope he is a happy one. But, he doesn't seem so happy. He seems like he's on a crusade to wipe God from the face of the earth. Why? There's room for everybody.

So, if you do type 100,000 quotes from your side, does that mean the 1 honest person who communicates with spirits is a "fraud." Truth has nothing to do with "how many" (numbers). What I was trying to get at was that supernatural experiences are a lot more common than most people believe. I have trouble telling believers of some of my encounters because even they look at me with a funny stare. And they are supposed to believe that stuff.

Look, sorry for bringing this up. I'm out of here. Too much is made of "beliefs" anyhow; they ought to be kept to the individual. it's about service to others. That's our purpose -- serving others. Apologize for the harsh words, really. Peace.

Last edited by Cityboy; 09-18-2017 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Lockette, oops, almost forgot. Believe your relatives.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
When you peddle your beliefs as "truths," you are swimming in the same lake Hitler and other tyrants swam in. Just because you haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary, doesn't mean others haven't and doesn't mean their experiences should be dismissed as "rubbish." You yourself are limited by your senses; therefore, all your life experiences are perceived through your senses. But, not everyone is limited as you are (have you looked around lately -- there are more than eight billion of us sharing the planet).

And those who have the mental capacity to hear or to see beyond the senses shouldn't be labeled "frauds." What is all your paranoia about? Just because you have trained your own mind to look no farther than its own senses, doesn't mean others haven't be born with the ability to do so or have trained their minds to do so. What I have noticed from small-minded atheists (not all) is their uptightness whenever a person speaks about the paranormal. Usually, one of their techniques is to try to make the person appear either foolish or crazy.

I found a quote by William Butler Yeats which reveals some insight into his personality:

"Certain things had happened to me when alone in my room which convinced me that their are spiritual intelligences which can warn us and advise us."

I can type tens of thousands of similar quotes like his from people from all walks of life. In my own case, had it not been from a warning from beyond, my life span on earth would have been cut short about 45 years old. I'm not looking to change your mind. If you are comfortable where you are, stay there. But, don't go peddling your beliefs as truths. Personally, I run from that type -- really fast. Nazis and white supremacy are the first things that come to mind. They engaged in the same game -- pushing their beliefs as "truths" and eliminating the opposite. Only you cannot kill the opposition so you mock or belittle whoever doesn't believe as you do. Scary.
Yeah, well if all these extra-sensory people created a Wi-Fi network using their minds alone, I would believe them, the power is in their hands, but they haven't, and do you want to know why they haven't? Answer, because they can't or they really really don't want me to believe them.

Do you know why I believe people are lead to believe this? Answer, not to make the world a better place, but to give more money and power to a few individuals. Just in the same way as Carnie-folk fool people into playing sideshow games - to scam people out of their money.

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Furthermore, your argument is ridiculous. How can you make a connection between God and poverty? In the United States of America, if a person doesn't want to work, he or she can visit a social service office to apply for food stamps and welfare. Now what do you (or God, for that matter) have to do with another person's laziness? And how can you attribute all the world's misery and suffering to God when it was created through the mind's of ignorant people, people who lust for power and material wealth. You need to put blame where it belongs -- by the right feet. You also could do yourself a favor by analyzing the state of your own mind. You happen to be way off base and happen to be on a football field too. And just because someone stamps a "thank you for this useful post" beneath your writing means writing means shit. In fact, they may be worsening your situation because they are encouraging you to remain blind.

I'll tip my cap to you because you are "book smart." But having knowledge from a book and having knowledge through experience are as different as a cat and a dog. So, please try to understand that. Because anyone born with a silver spoon up his or her ass and then shipped off to a fine university to be half-brainwashed and trained for a worldly position isn't the same as a person who spent an entire lifetime at the bedside of dying individuals. That's why I say -- you know squat. But, where there's life there is hope.
Well as I said in my post above, prove me wrong. If extra-sensory people who can read minds can link up and make the world a better place, I'm all for it.
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by PickleBottom; 09-18-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-18-2017, 10:36 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,841
Thanks: 361
Thanks 846
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Yeah, well if all these extra-sensory people created a Wi-Fi network using their minds alone, I would believe them, the power is in their hands, but they haven't, and do you want to know why they haven't? Answer, because they can't or they really really don't want me to believe them.

Do you know why I believe people are lead to believe this? Answer, not to make the world a better place, but to give more money and power to a few individuals. Just in the same way as Carnie-folk fool people into playing sideshow games - to scam people out of their money.



Well as I said in my post above, prove me wrong. If extra-sensory people who can read minds can link up and make the world a better place, I'm all for it.


Wait, wait, wait...

Carnie folk aren't scamming people out of their money. They're providing valuable entertainment, desperately needed by the... the... oh, I'm not going to say it. It's insensitive, and possibly not PC.

But damn, they're everywhere.

Is there a compassionate way of saying stupid people? I'm just asking because a friend of mine wants to know.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-19-2017)
  #109  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 337
Thanks 353
Default

I don't know if it's so much stupidity as gullibility -- or some psychological need to believe.

People who believe in things like a supernatural version of near-death experience -- even or maybe especially people who have had them, simply aren't interested in considering any biological or psychological explanation for them.

And they tell people who think that a scientific explanation is more plausible -- you haven't done enough investigation!

But the investigation can only consist of hearing more and more anecdotes from believers -- essentially "argumentum ad populum" -- if so many people believe, it must be true.

That really doesn't cut it for me.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-19-2017)
  #110  
Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Chinspinner's Avatar
Chinspinner (Offline)
Abnormally Articulate
Official Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 143
Thanks: 36
Thanks 22
Default

I fully understand, I am an agnostic that believes in God, in fact all the Gods. One of them must be correct.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 AM
fleamailman's Avatar
fleamailman (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,306
Thanks: 2,357
Thanks 3,778
Default

("...I wonder if colours can exist to those who are blind from birth..." inquired the goblin not really sure if he qualified for the intellectual corner of the forum though, perhaps not then, before adding "...same thing with ghosts too I imagine, for either you see them not believing in them since you already know, or you don't see them and thus you fall back upon believing instead being that which you don't experience as either "does" or "doesn't" exist only through one's conviction either way...", yet the goblin somehow knew that most people had fading memories of their past whereas for those who wrote daily had real ghosts by comparison, ghosts who returned within those writings while writing them out, and just how many times by now the goblin even shuddered to recall, just that line what you write writes you back haunted him still, relating "...ah now, write continuously and you'll bump into your ghosts for sure, write about your dreams at night and they will strengthen together with your recollection of them too, likewise, focus upon god and it will strengthen in exactly the same way as any practice does, yet none of this is provable beyond your own experience of it, meaning there is no right way bar your own way alone I guess, as those who say that they believe in something merely state that they fobbed off their homework for not trying to experience it for themselves, thus me I encourage you to write now, yes but let's just say that my motives are ever to see you by it, your ghosts await I guess, where sorry, your bookwriting escapades have never been my real motive in encouraging you to write in these posts, but if it's any consolation to you more people read these type texts today than most anything else anyway, for here is readers on the outside, ghosts on the inside, and you in the middle, all just forumland though..", and somehow everyone just knew that goblins couldn't be trusted from their encounters with them)

Last edited by fleamailman; 09-20-2017 at 10:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fleamailman For This Useful Post:
Grace Gabriel (09-20-2017), PickleBottom (09-20-2017)
  #112  
Old 09-20-2017, 04:35 AM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...I wonder if colours can exist to those who are blind from birth..." inquired the goblin not really sure if he qualified for the intellectual corner of the forum though, perhaps now, then adding "...same thing with ghosts too I imagine, for either you see them not believing in them since you already know, or you don't see ghost then and thus you fall back upon believing that which you don't see as either "does" or "doesn't" exist through one's conviction...", yet the goblin somehow knew that most people had fading memories of their past whereas for those who wrote had real ghosts by comparison who returned within those writings while they were writing them out, and just how many times by now the goblin shuddered to recall, his line what you write writes you back haunted him still, relating "...ah now, write continuously and you'll bump into your ghosts for sure, write about your dreams at night and they will strengthen together with your recollection of them, in short, focus upon god and it will strengthen in exactly the same way as any practice does, yet none of this is provable beyond your own experience of it, thus there is no right way bar your way alone, as those who say they believe in something merely state that they fob their homework off for not trying to experience it for themselves, thus me I encourage you to write but let's just say my motives are merely to see you by it, where sorry, your bookwriting has never been my motive in encouraging you to write in your posts, but if it's any consolation more people read these type texts today than most anything else...", and somehow everyone just knew that goblins couldn't be trusted from their encounters with them)
Good post Goblin, and therefore I have broken your last sentence, for the ghosts in your writing tells me you are a good person and can be trusted.
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PickleBottom For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-26-2017)
  #113  
Old 09-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Mohican's Avatar
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Not quite back of beyond
Posts: 3,847
Thanks: 330
Thanks 651
Default

Just the other day I plugged my Agnostic Checker into the OBD II port on my car, and it told me my flashing check engine light was a misfire on cylinder two.

After referencing the code and changing parts the code indicates, in this case I am agnostic on it's veracity. There have been times that the Agnostic Checker pinpointed the exact problem so at that point I was a believer.
__________________
If you surrender a civilization to avoid social disapproval, you should know that all of history will curse you for your cowardliness - Alice Teller

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:43 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Yeah, well if all these extra-sensory people created a Wi-Fi network using their minds alone, I would believe them, the power is in their hands, but they haven't, and do you want to know why they haven't? Answer, because they can't or they really really don't want me to believe them.

Do you know why I believe people are lead to believe this? Answer, not to make the world a better place, but to give more money and power to a few individuals. Just in the same way as Carnie-folk fool people into playing sideshow games - to scam people out of their money.



Well as I said in my post above, prove me wrong. If extra-sensory people who can read minds can link up and make the world a better place, I'm all for it.

Funny post. A person doesn't need ESP to make "his/her" or "the" world a better place. You must have heard of "service to others" and "love to self and others."
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM
PickleBottom's Avatar
PickleBottom (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,980
Thanks: 1,312
Thanks 377
Default

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
Funny post. A person doesn't need ESP to make "his/her" or "the" world a better place. You must have heard of "service to others" and "love to self and others."
Shame that with all these people running around with ESP that they 1) don't need it and 2) don't use it
__________________
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas
-George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-25-2017, 05:54 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by fleamailman View Post
("...I wonder if colours can exist to those who are blind from birth..." inquired the goblin not really sure if he qualified for the intellectual corner of the forum though, perhaps not then, before adding "...same thing with ghosts too I imagine, for either you see them not believing in them since you already know, or you don't see them and thus you fall back upon believing instead being that which you don't experience as either "does" or "doesn't" exist only through one's conviction either way...", yet the goblin somehow knew that most people had fading memories of their past whereas for those who wrote daily had real ghosts by comparison, ghosts who returned within those writings while writing them out, and just how many times by now the goblin even shuddered to recall, just that line what you write writes you back haunted him still, relating "...ah now, write continuously and you'll bump into your ghosts for sure, write about your dreams at night and they will strengthen together with your recollection of them too, likewise, focus upon god and it will strengthen in exactly the same way as any practice does, yet none of this is provable beyond your own experience of it, meaning there is no right way bar your own way alone I guess, as those who say that they believe in something merely state that they fobbed off their homework for not trying to experience it for themselves, thus me I encourage you to write now, yes but let's just say that my motives are ever to see you by it, your ghosts await I guess, where sorry, your bookwriting escapades have never been my real motive in encouraging you to write in these posts, but if it's any consolation to you more people read these type texts today than most anything else anyway, for here is readers on the outside, ghosts on the inside, and you in the middle, all just forumland though..", and somehow everyone just knew that goblins couldn't be trusted from their encounters with them)
Dr. Raymond Moody has studied and written many books about NDEs (Near-Death Experiences) interviewed a man born blind at birth who clinically died on the operating table. The blind person, whose spirit hovered above the doctors and nurses who frantically fought to revive him, correctly described some of the doctors and nurses in the room. When the person was revived, he was once again blind.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-26-2017)
  #117  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Shame that with all these people running around with ESP that they 1) don't need it and 2) don't use it
Of course they use it. Occasionally, psychics have been used to help police solve cases. The Society for Psychic Research was founded in England. At the beginning of the 20th Century, some of the most remarkable (and scientific too) minds belonged to the society. Why do you continue to ignore history? It's almost as though you're manning an anti-aircraft gun ready to shoot down anything zooming across the sky. It's as if you are on a mission. Why don't you take a few weeks to research the subject open-mindedly. You'll be surprised the names you'll uncover. And, if you're honest with yourself, you might even scratch your chin in wonder.

What does ESP have to do improving relations in the world -- treat people fairly, show respect, be unselfish, and help your brothers and sisters. That's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cityboy For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (09-26-2017)
  #118  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
Cityboy (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,370
Thanks: 23
Thanks 140
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Shame that with all these people running around with ESP that they 1) don't need it and 2) don't use it
For some strange reason, you have programmed yourself to ignore or to mock whatever you don't understand. Your world cannot be so tiny unless you deliberately do it to boost your agenda, which would be so terribly unfair to yourself. Sad.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 PM
Myers's Avatar
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 337
Thanks 353
Default

Originally Posted by PickleBottom View Post
Shame that with all these people running around with ESP that they 1) don't need it and 2) don't use it
Oh, I wish I had ESP!

In a meeting, I could read everyone's mind and come out on top!

And imagine how handy it would be to pick up chicks!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Myers For This Useful Post:
PickleBottom (09-26-2017)
  #120  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:23 PM
brianpatrick's Avatar
brianpatrick (Online)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,841
Thanks: 361
Thanks 846
Default

Originally Posted by Myers View Post
Oh, I wish I had ESP!



In a meeting, I could read everyone's mind and come out on top!



And imagine how handy it would be to pick up chicks!


Think about all the jobs you bid where the client said: "wow, that's it? I thought it would be way more expensive!"

Are there schools for this ESP stuff?
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:58 PM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.