WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Logging

Old 05-18-2014, 12:50 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697
Default Logging

One day I set my chokers and jumped up on a run-log to get out of the bight. Dave and Dan were using the same log and I was about halfway across when they jumped off the other end. When they jumped, the log kicked and started rolling down the hill.

I got thrown off the down-hill side and landed on my feet. The log was right behind me. I jumped as far as I could, again and again with the log rumbling along behind me, picking up speed. I was making tremendous leaps headlong down a steep slope, tearing through the brush. The log was bouncing now, one end and then the other, pulverizing rock and brush each time it hit. I had nowhere to go but down and I knew I couldn't outrun it. It finally hit me in the back just as I left the ground in a jump. My hardhat went one way and I went another, flying.

It knocked me quite a way, far enough for me to get completely turned around before I landed, flat on my back. The log was right behind, slamming down across my chest, rolling up over my face then rolling back down across my chest. Surprisingly enough, it didn't hurt and I thought, Am I already dead? I kept waiting for the blackness or the pain.

I figured I had a couple of minutes at the most before I was gone. I could feel where the rough bark had pressed into my face and I thought I'd been crushed like a bug. I figured the only reason it didn't hurt was because I was dying. I hoped it would be over quickly, because in a minute I was going to need air and I knew it would hurt if I tried to breathe.

My body involuntarily drew a ragged breath. It didn't hurt as bad as I thought it would. I shakily let it out and drew another one. It didn't feel like I was crushed at all and I thought, Dying is weird.

Other than having a log on top of me, I felt alright. It didn't feel like anything was broken. Moving around a little bit, I was able to pull one arm loose and then the other. I reached up over the log and pulled myself out. Two of the whitest faces I'd ever seen looked at me in surprise. Dave and Dan had seen the whole thing and thought that I'd been squished like a bug and was dead.

An old growth Redwood stump saved me. The roots splayed out in every direction, only half buried in the dirt. I'd landed in between two of them and the log had come to rest across the top. I found my hard-hat and went back to work, but a few minutes later the adrenaline wore off and my knees started shaking so bad I had to sit down.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:49 PM
rockman (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 87

great descriptions of a harrowing experience in this one. the redwoods have been good to you ...

I had to look up "bight"-- it has several meanings, but seems mostly related to a rope's slack in this context, maybe?
The Following User Says Thank You to rockman For This Useful Post:
JustcallmeEd (06-08-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM
JustcallmeEd (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 697

Originally Posted by rockman View Post
great descriptions of a harrowing experience in this one. the redwoods have been good to you ...

I had to look up "bight"-- it has several meanings, but seems mostly related to a rope's slack in this context, maybe?
It refers to the area under a high-lead cable where anything would land on you should it break. Also refers to the danger zone anywhere around a high-tension cable, as a cable can whip horizontally if it breaks.

It probably started out just referring to the area inside the curve of a slack cable, where you would get whacked should the cable tighten up suddenly and then by extension came to mean the danger zone anywhere around a cable.

Last edited by JustcallmeEd; 05-19-2014 at 05:56 PM..

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction