WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe

Writers' Cafe Get a drink, sit down to relax, and chit-chat with other writers.

My Amazon Sales Rank for book that hasnít yet been published

Old 03-07-2008, 03:32 AM
josiehenley (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 3
Icon5 My Amazon Sales Rank for book that hasnít yet been published

This is very confusing. Gratifying yes, but confusing also. I wonder if this means that there have been a whole load of pre-orders? Today I noticed that my book Silence has the blurb on the Amazon book page at last, but still no image. Itís due to be published in July this year. How then has it managed to achieve such a high sales rank? (I think this is high, some books are at like 2 million or something, the lower the number the higher the sales, like with record charts).

Silence (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1906558035) Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 91,908 in Books

My other books and their ranks:

Seven Days (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0955103231) which has been out since last March, is at Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 91,707 in Books

Eight Hours (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0955103290) due out at the end of this month, is at Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 91,910 in Books

It seems odd that the sales rank is set before any sales. I wonder if itís an estimation based on other books by the same publisher. Amazon is like the river, wide and mysterious, and full of fatal traps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Morogo (Offline)
I Am My Own Master
Official Member

Send a message via MSN to Morogo Send a message via Yahoo to Morogo Send a message via Skype™ to Morogo

Are you sure that it hasn't been pre booked? I suspect that either Amazon are being incredibly cockey and presumptious, or their servers have suffered a melt down, or most likely, people have pre booked said books, which would be my bet.

If all else fails, try to not to think about it. Amazon may be foul playing the mind of the amazon stat hunter...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Lin

So you're unpublished book is outperforming the publshed ones? Whoa.

An odd case of pre-natal performance.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:53 PM
Lin

BTW...is there an overall list of these somewhere? Can we find out what the number of the worst selling book is? Or the best-selling, for that matter?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Cuchulain (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 22
Send a message via Skype™ to Cuchulain

Just assume it's a good thing. We could all use a little more optimism.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Danny (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 52

Well I doubt the algorithm is just based on orders, not sure what exactly else - but it could be page views, amount of customers adding the book to wish list, ratings...etc...etc..

I would take it as a good thing - so congrats.
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but the ignominy, the humiliation we feel that we must be what we are without any choice in the matter, and that this humiliation is seen by everyone."

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe