WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction

Non-Fiction Journals, biographies, memoirs, etc.

Ravi Shankar- with love......

Old 12-13-2012, 09:54 PM
WilliamS. (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 236
Default Ravi Shankar- with love......

Ravi Shankar died, at 92 years of age.

None of you morons know this, but Indian classical music is deeply beautiful and moving, and Ravi Shankar put out countless albums of breathtakingly beautiful music. I am not a huge fan; I've only owned 15, maybe 20 of his albums (and a DVD or two), but I feel sure enough to say that his legacy is nearly lost on music fans since the Beatles=equals=God myth was disproven by Captain Beefheart (see "Beatle Bones n Smokin Stones") and the Seeds and the Sex Pistols and Pep-See....

Give Ravi a chance- don't discount him as a lull in the taste of George Harrison. Ravi Shankar's music will flow over and around your simple head, and rhythmically dismantle your expectations, building and building until there is no place else to go, then he'll bring you to no place! Then he'll dismantle no place! Then he'll speed up and take your breath away, then he'll speed up more, leaving no possibilities, then he'll make the impossible possible, and that fucking tabla player will be right there, anticipating what you thought couldn't be done a minute ago! And once you've lost your breath twice his playing will kick you in the stomach with another twist, and as you try to regain your hold on the possible he conspires some uniquely mathematical impossible perfect run with Alla Rakha that will kick your cock and balls straight off!

Don't take my word for it; his music is readily available.

I don't feel too bad that he's dead. 92 is pretty good, and it's well known that he played lots of music and banged lots of broads. Listen to his music; have patience and let it wash over you. Don't be a fucking idiot.

Pandit Ravi Shankar 1920 - 2012

Last edited by WilliamS.; 12-13-2012 at 10:01 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 03:09 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

Nice tribute, my crit would be that you not attack your readers like this: "None of you morons know this,"

Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 725

I assume that's a satire of snooty musical types.

Either that or William is a snooty musical type.

That said I vaguely knew about Ravi, and I watched the story break on Al Jazeera the other day (none of you morons will watch al jazeera! ). Seems he was much loved and will be greatly missed.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 93

For the record (hee-hee) I enjoy some Indian music, including much of Ravi's which I've heard.

-
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Non-Fiction