WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Why are male singers such pussies today?

Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Originally Posted by E. Zamora View Post
Due to technology and over-parenting, human beings are softer (for lack of a better term) and less self-reliant than in the past. Women are also taking on roles traditionally held by men, so there is less of a distinction.

So it might appear that men are less "masculine," at least superficially -- but the idea that there is some "movement" intent on emasculating boys is pretty far fetched, to put it nicely...

From my viewpoint it's not farfetched. Although it gets more exposure than it's actual % of population, there is a expanding push to raise children in a "gender neutral" fashion

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:12 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,222

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
From my viewpoint it's not farfetched. Although it gets more exposure than it's actual % of population, there is a expanding push to raise children in a "gender neutral" fashion
Only a well balanced kid can pull off a pink tutu whilst rocking a replica Uzi 9mm...
Old 08-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

I'll go ahead and post something a bit simplistic

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:02 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Why?

What exactly is a "lack of masculinity?"

And I'm not talking about surface traits or acting manly or doing manly things.

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine and he was concerned that one of his younger neighbors didn't own or know how to run a chain saw...
Old 08-17-2018, 03:33 AM
flyingtart (Online)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 186

Well clearly he isn't a real man. You can tell how masculine someone is by the amount of heavy artillery and power tools in their shed.

Only pussies would prefer to do something girly like singing a song.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:34 AM
Grace Gabriel (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member

Thanks 1,222

and I'll promise to employ emojis so you know when I'm just playing
Mohican (08-26-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:50 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Originally Posted by flyingtart View Post
Well clearly he isn't a real man. You can tell how masculine someone is by the amount of heavy artillery and power tools in their shed.

Only pussies would prefer to do something girly like singing a song.
Yeah, when I think back on what I learned about being a man, either what I was taught or learned by example, it was mostly about being a responsible, decent human being...
Old 08-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Why?

What exactly is a "lack of masculinity?"

And I'm not talking about surface traits or acting manly or doing manly things.

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine and he was concerned that one of his younger neighbors didn't own or know how to run a chain saw...

If they live in woods, farm or ranch country that can be a problem.... (goes to a characteristic of surviving that can survive, and men in general - self reliance.

Self reliance

not being swayed and staying a course (there is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps coming - early Texas Ranger saying, attributed to Ira Aten and others)

Stays physically fit

and so on

Yes, these are traits that also serve women well, but are traits a man need.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mohican For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (08-18-2018)
Old 08-18-2018, 07:02 AM
Konan (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 89

Here's an article on being a man that resonated with me as a young man (and many other guys -- this writer was a "god" in his day)...

https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/be-a-man.16903/
Old 08-18-2018, 07:50 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Originally Posted by Konan View Post
Here's an article on being a man that resonated with me as a young man (and many other guys -- this writer was a "god" in his day)...

https://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/be-a-man.16903/
Funny article.

In the real world, outside this guy’s interview with the “yapping ladies” that never happened, you can share feelings, go shopping, watch chick flicks AND you can be decisive, successful have convictions etc. He’s talking about a dichotomy that doesn’t have to exist in a relationship and usually doesn’t among mature adults.

I wonder what it’s like to have such a simplistic outlook. Easier in some ways, I’d imagine.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-18-2018 at 04:52 PM..
Old 08-18-2018, 08:00 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

By the way, this notion that women ignore nice guys and go for the jerks or "bad boys" is the fantasy of every douchebag.

SOME women go for the bad boys. They usually have emotional problems because they were treated badly by the men in their lives. That's what seems normal to them. Mature and emotionally healthy woman know better...

BTW, I provide for my family, have my own business etc. ("Decisive, successful have convictions" etc. etc.) Last night I watched Bridget Jones' Baby with my wife, and guess what? I still have my balls!

I don't know if the author believes this crap or not, but he's clearly pandering to guys who can't get laid.

Last edited by E. Zamora; 08-18-2018 at 04:55 PM..
Old 08-18-2018, 08:34 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

If they live in woods, farm or ranch country that can be a problem.... (goes to a characteristic of surviving that can survive, and men in general - self reliance.

Self reliance

not being swayed and staying a course (there is no stopping a man who knows he's right, and keeps coming - early Texas Ranger saying, attributed to Ira Aten and others)

Stays physically fit

and so on

Yes, these are traits that also serve women well, but are traits a man need.
I mentioned self-reliance.

I didn't mention staying physically fit.

If you want to stay fit these days, you have to go out of your way to do it. It's not going to happen on the job for most men. Of course people are more sedentary these days and the overall American diet is pretty unhealthy, so a lot of people are overweight. As far as strength goes, I wouldn't be too surprised if there wasn't too much difference between the average male office worker and one of 40 or 50 years ago. And there is a segment of those who go out of their way to exercise and eat healthy. It's probably about a wash. Not sure if how much of that has to do with masculinity or lack of it.

Otherwise, I think we mostly agree...
Old 08-18-2018, 09:39 AM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

There’s no stopping a man who knows he’s right and keeps coming...

Hmm... true, but there’s also no stopping a man who knows he’s right and keeps coming, but is wrong or deluded. That’s how we get guys like the 9/11 hijackers, and the assholes that bombed abortion clinics back in the 80’s.

The whole problem is ideology of any stripe. As soon as a human agrees to act out a set of rules strictly, there will be conflict between the rules and life.

Self reliance is good. Keeping your word too. Much beyond that I don’t think we can say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-26-2018, 11:04 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Part of manhood is having a proper decision making process

https://weloveanimals.me/girlfriend-...sitate-second/

Old 08-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 141

Personally, I find my penis a small thing, in fact I rarely find it at all, but it is only a small contributor to my personality. There is more difference within groups than between groups. I wish people would stop grouping everyone on physical attributes, it feels so fucking bigoted.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:06 AM
Prodigalson (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing

Thanks 483

I'm reminded of Ambroce Bierce's definition of bigot: "One who is obstinately and zealously attached to an opinion that you do not entertain."
Mr. Ed said I should use his signature, since he's not anymore. In honor of his good friend Nok, here it is: "As far as smoking a cigar," she said, "I'd not know where to start or how to start." "It's simple," said I, "You light one end and chew on the other and hope to meet in the middle."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Part of manhood is having a proper decision making process

https://weloveanimals.me/girlfriend-...sitate-second/
Hah.

When I first met my wife, I guess it was pretty much love at first sight. I'd been afraid to even ask, and maybe it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but when I first went to her place, I kept saying over and over in my head, "Please don't have cats, please don't have cats...
Old 08-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 730

Hah.

When I first met my wife, I guess it was pretty much love at first sight. I'd been afraid to even ask, and maybe it wouldn't have been a deal breaker, but when I first went to her place, I kept saying over and over in my head, "Please don't have cats, please don't have cats...

Did she have a cat?

Old 09-11-2018, 11:59 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Did she have a cat?
No, thank goodness.

But she did have an awful lot of crap on the wall, there were knickknacks all over the place and a bazillion candles in the bathroom. All that was a real cause for concern, but somehow we were able to work through it.
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 1,184

No, thank goodness.

But she did have an awful lot of crap on the wall, there were knickknacks all over the place and a bazillion candles in the bathroom. All that was a real cause for concern, but somehow we were able to work through it.

This is how I see that situation:

She was putting things up on the wall and buying candles to fill a void inside her. Once she met you, you filled the void, and she was free to participate in your anal-retentive (OCD) lifestyle. Maybe you even influenced her to walk on the wild side and alphabetize some canned vegetables, or “organize” the sheets in the linen closet by pattern, you know, stripes, solids, flowers, and bright colors.
The Following User Says Thank You to brianpatrick For This Useful Post:
E. Zamora (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:35 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Heh. More like this:

She cared about decor and aesthetics to a degree -- but she realized they were far more important to me, so she gladly conceded on those things -- which let me think I'd won some huge victory and that gave me the illusion of control early on. Of course, she's in charge of just about everyone else, so...
Old 09-11-2018, 06:47 PM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

It's funny -- we go to a fabric or furniture store -- they go to my wife and ignore me.

I'm like, hey -- I'm the one with the color swatches, bitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to E. Zamora For This Useful Post:
brianpatrick (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 07:00 PM
Chinspinner (Offline)
Scribbling Master
Official Member

Thanks 141

It's funny -- we go to a fabric or furniture store -- they go to my wife and ignore me.

I'm like, hey -- I'm the one with the color swatches, bitch.
Did you slap them with your swatches and challenge them to a duel?
Old 09-12-2018, 08:26 AM
E. Zamora (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 151

Originally Posted by Chinspinner View Post
Did you slap them with your swatches and challenge them to a duel?
If I have a loveseat to reupholster, do you think I'm going to waste my time with that shit?

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table