WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table

The Intellectual Table Discussions on political topics, social issues, current affairs, etc.

Mohicanís Miscellaneous Meanderings

Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Random: It would have been cool if the "sharpshooting plumber" had really been shooting a Sharps.... http://nypost.com/2017/11/06/sharpsh...church-gunman/

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:31 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

I notice a sharp uptick in violence perpetrated by lefties, particularly Atheists and Bernie supporters.

And now the the attorney/spokes weasel for the man that attacked Randal Paul claims there was no political motivation.....

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Huh. You hear a new term everyday. Today's new term is "Progressive Stack". It became popular on campus after the Occupy Movements - and in many instances means that White Male students will be called on only as a last resort....

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/38636/

Controversy erupted recently after tweets from an Ivy League teaching assistant showed her admitting she only calls on white male students as a last resort.

“I will always call on my black women students first. Other [people of color] get second tier priority. [White women] come next. And, if I have to, white men,” University of Pennsylvania teaching assistant Stephanie McKellop tweeted in October.

McKellop’s tweets spotlight a method known as the “progressive stack” in which speaking priority is given to minority voices while those deemed as having privilege must wait their turn.
This is the the current face of Higher Education? Perhaps people should seek new majors, or voluntarily reduce the glut of college students, or tell admissions to bugger off.

That worked for Son #2, who faced a placement stack, which lasted as long as it took him to tell admissions that if he didn't get into his core classes this year as promised, then he would be gone and attend a college that would accommodate him.....

Old 11-09-2017, 02:51 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

Originally Posted by Mohican View Post
Huh. You hear a new term everyday. Today's new term is "Progressive Stack". It became popular on campus after the Occupy Movements - and in many instances means that White Male students will be called on only as a last resort....

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/38636/

This is the the current face of Higher Education? Perhaps people should seek new majors, or voluntarily reduce the glut of college students, or tell admissions to bugger off.

That worked for Son #2, who faced a placement stack, which lasted as long as it took him to tell admissions that if he didn't get into his core classes this year as promised, then he would be gone and attend a college that would accommodate him.....

Yes, this appears to be the face of higher education in many places these days.

I recommend the hard sciences as a major. Most of the other stuff these days will likely get you smothered in post-modernist cheese-wiz. And as much as I enjoy cheese-wiz on a steak sandwich or some Ritz crackers, I try not to think too deeply about it.

In a way, just as the Trump election has brought to public light the trouble with electing someone who is not qualified for the office, this bad liberal behavior on steroids will hopefully convince people that putting the Ďchildrení (of any age) in charge of anything larger than the school bake sale is/was a mistake.

Iím optimistic. Letís let all the fringes speak publicly as much as they want. You know... give Ďem enough rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

Many people thought Hillary was unqualified for office. Her actions as SOS led to "setting the Middle East on fire" not being hyperbole.

It's my opinion that President Obama was unqualified for office.

I think that tRUMP was unprepared for the office, and in spite of probably having even more chaos on his hands he should never have had the establishment camel have get it's nose in his tent.

My biggest disappointment with tRUMP was having his Daughter and Son IN Law as advisors.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 651

I read an article recently that said that prior to WWII, University Deans and Presidents typically came from Engineering or science backgrounds.

There was a movement starting after WWII to get (non departmental) deans and University presidents from the humanities/liberal arts/"soft sciences".

Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 690

Many people thought Hillary was unqualified for office.
That anyone is qualified for office is a myth. No one knows how to run a country it's absurd. IMHO the people who think that they can run a country, ie: are qualified for office, are generally insane. See most leaders in history for details.

Is there anyone here who genuinely thinks they could run a country? -- know what to do with its military, its foreign policy, its medical budgets, its current/capital account, its education policy/funding, in the event of invasion, in the event of a financial crash, in the event of some violent domestic clashes or epidemic viral outbreak or natural disaster? Who really has the knowhow? Hilary Clinton or Donald Trump? I barely know what to have for breakfast most mornings. Man the whole proposal is just beyond absurd to me but there we go it's a crazy world.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:33 AM
Myers (Online)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 352

Originally Posted by JohnConstantine View Post
That anyone is qualified for office is a myth. No one knows how to run a country it's absurd. IMHO the people who think that they can run a country, ie: are qualified for office, are generally insane. See most leaders in history for details.
Narcissism, grandiosity, sociopathic tendencies for sure.

With Trump you have all those things turned up to 11, plus a stunning lack of self-awareness and social skills of any kind. (Mistaken for just saying what "everybody" is thinking.)

So it really is a matter of degrees -- and the hope that you can elect someone who is somewhat less crazy than the other guy.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:47 AM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 352

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post

I recommend the hard sciences as a major.
Not everyone is suited for hard sciences. Generally, math is involved both in the discipline and as prerequisites. Otherwise, I think the people with the aptitude and interest will go that direction anyway. I can barely add and subtract, so I couldn't have gone into the sciences or engineering etc. if my life had depended on it.

It's tougher for everyone else to get a piece of paper that means something in the job market. I know plenty of people who have done well with liberal arts degrees -- but that's getting harder these days.

I was lucky -- I was a graphic design major -- so I graduated with a demonstrable skill. On interviews, I just showed my portfolio and not once did anyone ask me about grades and they wouldn't have cared if I hadn't even graduated, as long as I made it through the design program.

I could have gone to a two year school, but I got a lottery scholarship and went for a 4 year degree instead. I'd say that outside of the required art classes and classes for my major, the rest was useless and a colossal waste of time. I got a whole lot of partying done though.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:45 PM
brianpatrick (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 846

My biggest disappointment with tRUMP was having his Daughter and Son IN Law as advisors.

Thatís probably your scots-Irish heritage speaking. I think theyíve probably contributed to his moderation. Otherwise we may have descended down a rabbit hole that even general Kelly couldnít have recovered from.

We need both sides to foster our future. Both sides left unchecked would be our ruin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Myers (Online)
Official Member

Thanks 352

Many people thought Hillary was unqualified for office. Her actions as SOS led to "setting the Middle East on fire" not being hyperbole.
Right. Nothing to do with that little dust-up in Iraq then...

WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > The Intellectual Table