WritersBeat.com
 

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games

Board Games Get it? "Board" games.


The Inn Between (Character Chat)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 03-14-2015, 03:58 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default


The Barkeep nodded and took the gold.

Nia and Aya followed him over to the table as Nia explained. "Well, our quest is actually to find a quest. We were bored, you know? And there was no-where for us to go in our universe, so we found our way here and have been hopping through stories ever since."

Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:04 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

The wind blew with appreciation, and cleared the indicated table of all dust, pulling out three chairs for each aquaintance.
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

they sat and bear man smiled, "now I mean no disrespect to you imp, but Nia you say you speak to animals - is it possible you can talk to the imp. signs are not always read well."
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:36 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

The door opens yet again. Nothing new to this heavy trafficked inn, filled with beasts and creatures of all sorts, but what entered may have been one of the strangest creatures this bar had seen.

"Oooohhhh weeeeeee, that was a walk," the creature states walking to the bar ignoring the inhabitants staring at his strange clothes. Blue button up shirt decorated with lavender flowers clinging lightly to his body, a matching decoration on the sleek swim trunks, the soft shuffle of his slip on shoes breaking the silence. He steps up to the bar, looking out from his straw hat through green sunglasses and appraises the bartender. "What's up man?" Unscrewing his bottle of water he downs the last bit and holds it to the bar tender, "can you fill this with vodka?" He slides a twenty across the bar.

Turning he appraises the room as the bar tender fills his bottle. Decapitated bodies and the scorched marks of burnt wood mingling with the splatters of blood. He sizes up the bat-lady and smiles, pulling down his sunglasses halfway he reveals bright blue eyes, "Whoah! Awesome wings!"
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

Nia shrugs. "Yeah, sure. So, Imp, what' your name? Got any reasons for helping out?"

Meanwhile, Aya takes out a small notepad and writes 'thank you, I like your eyes' and shows it to the man who had just entered.

Barkeep ducked under the counter for a moment, then came back up with the bottle filled with vodka.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

The wind surrounded Nia, chilling her face and tingling her neck. She inhaled and through her scent saw the memory. 'Kaikias, or just K' she breathed deeper finding solace in the freezing chill, and expelled on the sweet scent of 'fun' as the answer to her last question. The wind left her still shivering....
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-14-2015, 04:56 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

"Well then, K, nice to meet you. Certainly not the strangest conversation I've had, but that was still a bit weird." She turned back to Roberts. "It seems legit, no tricks. Or, no malicious tricks."
She made sure to keep an eye on Aya as she talked, but let her talk to the man in the strange getup.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-14-2015, 05:11 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

"Either you're from out of town or I am one," the stranger said to the bat-girl with a laugh. "My names Mike- what's yours?"

"Nya," she responded.

"Ahhhh- yeah I'm the one from out of town." He took a swig from his bottle, "Well don't want to keep you long from your friend. I've got to find my dog anyway." He walks to the door and pauses for an instant, "I'll see you around Nya," he winks, "Still want to know if you can fly."
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:39 AM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

bear man sort of pinches between his eyes, and lowers his head. another follower of Timothy Leary in this ream...

but back to the prince.

the door swings open (yet again) a large odd looking bird flies in and drops a scroll on the table where Bear man sits. the bird makes a couple of loops and then flies back out the door. the door slams behind him.

bear man reads the scroll and confides in his fellow questers.

"it is a message from my sister. the prince is hold up in his castle. we will never get him out. we must think of something to bring him to us." any ideas.
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-15-2015, 08:06 AM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

The wind swirled around the bear-man's face, the chill refreshing- he had become quite warm. The smell of gravel, iron, and blood mingle to induce a memory that has not happened yet:

The prince running down the stone stairs of his tower gleefully delivering himself. The cool oak of the doors flying open under his hands, too impetuous to wait for the guards to open it. The sun is dark and cold, the courtyard filled with battalions of half-creatures mildly resembling the men they had once been. In the center a man in chains, though not quite locked, he lifts his head, the bear-man with a joyful smile of his own. Either side of the "prisoner" the companions- simple bounty hunters looking to claim a reward....
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

laurenking

*bear man hangs his head in shame,*

"I am sorry if I hijacked your thread - where would you like to lead us now? I will follow and try not to take over."


Max, the unworthy of your forgiveness.
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-16-2015, 04:01 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

Actually, that was the plan all along! I'm more here to sort out arguments and be a player myself. Truth be told, I'm a terrible GM, so I thought I'd make something where everyone gets to have a turn, without TOO much responsibility! Go ahead an lead, it's your quest!

Lauren, the ReallyBadAtExplainingHowTheThreadWorks
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

Fine with me- I just figure we will all be GM, don't really know what that means but you said it. I introduced my characters, and I promise to always make sure a random monster pops up heeeeeeh
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-16-2015, 04:35 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

GM means Game Master btw. Also, yeah, that sounds great!
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-16-2015, 06:09 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

THEN THE QUEST IS ON *trumpets sound *

and tomorrow I'll see where I want to lead.


max
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.

Last edited by max crash; 03-23-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-23-2015, 12:42 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

bear man wakes from a drunken stupor and looks around to see if anyone is still in the bar.
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-23-2015, 12:58 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

Nia smiled back, wanting to know the plan.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:40 PM
daes13's Avatar
daes13 (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: At 1040 MPH... So I'm not sure
Posts: 1,334
Thanks: 328
Thanks 342
Default

An icicle falls and shatters into a gust of wind: smelling intensely of alcohol.
__________________
I'd rather feel the prick of a thorn than smell the sweetness of a rose...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:43 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

"ohhh, let's go outside that smell is sickening"
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:44 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

Nia shrugged and headed out, with Aya following close behind.

Out there, a shocking sight awaited the small team of adventurers. Instead of wherever they had come from, there was nothing but a huge, empty, white void.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

is this Boston? No, of course not. did it snow all the time I was ... asleep, yes - asleep? or is this some kind of spell?????
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

"Ah, you've never seen the void before, have you?" Nia asked. "To be honest, wherever you cane from? We're nowhere near there right now. Let's just say there's a reason this place is called the 'Inn Between'. But we can get to wherever we need to go easily enough, if we pay Barkeep to let us out the back way. Now, we were discussing plans?"
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-29-2015, 12:54 PM
uncephalized's Avatar
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 330
Thanks: 34
Thanks 70
Default

"Plans, hm?" says a high voice from behind them. They turn to see a short, slight figure closing the door. "Interesting place, this," says the stranger. He wears a gray woolen tunic and hooded mantle. A reddish muzzle protrudes from the hood, black nose wrinkling, sniffing the air. "Smells... empty."

The hood twitches as two lumps move on the top of the stranger's head. "Quiet, too. Not at all like that noisy Inn. Who'd have thought two such different places could be so close together? Or was the trip through that doorway further than it seemed, hm?"

He steps closer to the bear-man Roberts, head barely reaching his navel. A red brush of a tail swishes around his legs, tipped in black. "I have a habit of listening from dark corners, and I hear you have a grudge to settle with a certain Prince.

"Well, I also have a habit of sneaking into castles and squeezing into vaults; might be we could help each other out, if you've a mind. Now, this Prince, is he rich?"
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-29-2015, 01:30 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

I don't know that he is rich but if he is he sleeps on his money.

*a slight laugh,*

YES that may be a plan; take his money and make him suffer
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-29-2015, 02:19 PM
uncephalized's Avatar
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 330
Thanks: 34
Thanks 70
Default

"Hm, hm, yes. A rich man made poor will suffer, certainly. But I am a small fox, and can carry only so much gold... and I doubt a beast as sizable as yourself could follow where I travel, hm? No, my thought was more subtle.

"Does not every man treasure some possession above all others? Perhaps a small thing, easily carried--a memento, an heirloom, hidden and kept secret, safe? Well, it is my talent to sniff out such treasures. And once he finds his precious bauble gone... well, he must come chasing after the thief, hm? And if we can... nudge him, to bring his hunt to a place of our own choosing, why, a clever fox might devise a trap, and snare a Princely prize."

The little fox-man pulled back his hood, and his ears sprang up. He looked around at the company with yellow eyes, bright in the white light of the Void.

"By the by, I am Volpi. Volpi Shadepad. Pleased to make your acquaintance. Now, might we remove ourselves to somewhere less... eerie? The lack of shadows makes my ears to itch."
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 03-29-2015, 02:54 PM
max crash's Avatar
max crash (Offline)
Always Online
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Keep, just beyond the orbit of mars
Posts: 2,239
Thanks: 147
Thanks 403
Default

agreed let's go back inside.

*bear-man tries the door and it will not open, he pulls harder before he yells*

NIA, sense you knew where we were - I hope you know how to open the doorway back to the inn.
__________________
if you're writing over your readers head - tum etiam, ut graece scribens --- the secret of success changes;the truth of failure remains constant; if you try to please everyone you will fail.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 PM
LaurenKing's Avatar
LaurenKing (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 1
Thanks 0
Default

"Of course," she says, gesturing to a door that seemed to have appeared when no-one was looking. "Barkeep always accepts needy travellers into his inn, wherever they are."

Once back, Nia gestures for everyone to sit back at their previous table. "Well, I certainly like the idea of stealing something he keeps on him, on one condition. We'd have to do it unseen. It sends a certain message, yes? A sort of 'we could have killed you in your sleep and never been caught' kinda vibe."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 03-29-2015, 06:27 PM
uncephalized's Avatar
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 330
Thanks: 34
Thanks 70
Default

"Unseen, you say, hm?" says Volpi. "Well, that's precisely how I prefer to work. Sure to be surrounded by guards, is this Prince? Impossible to be sure of an escape, if we bloody him in his own den. And a clever fox never crawls down a hole if he knows he can't crawl out again. Not much for the stabbing and the blood is Volpi Shadepad, anywise. Murder on the woolens, it is."

He grins a foxy grin, asks the bear-man, "seems you've seen this castle before, hm? You have been inside? What is it you can tell us about the place?"

Last edited by uncephalized; 03-29-2015 at 07:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 04-17-2015, 01:04 PM
uncephalized's Avatar
uncephalized (Offline)
Noteworthy
Official Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 330
Thanks: 34
Thanks 70
Default

Volpi looks around at the deserted inn, and wonders if he needs to bathe, for he seems to have scared off his new companions.
__________________
Writer, Player, Thinker, Maker.
MunroCraft.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

  WritersBeat.com > General Discussion > Writers' Cafe > Board Games


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should follow this scene? Alligrace797 Writing Help & Issues 11 10-08-2014 10:45 AM
The Pinocchio Syndrome: Breathing life into "wooden" characters Devon General Writing 0 12-03-2011 11:56 AM
Please critique this chapter jpwrites Fiction 3 04-27-2010 12:27 PM
Character Dialogue Winterbite General Writing 0 08-17-2009 08:58 PM
Handy How-to for Character Clinics Devon Character Clinics 0 01-13-2009 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:19 AM.

vBulletin, Copyright 2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.