WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section

Research Section When Googling isn't enough... Everyone's an expert in something. Post your research questions here to take advantage of our expertise!

Using quotes from public figures

Old 01-24-2014, 03:47 AM
yad_williams (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Using quotes from public figures

Hi all,
I'm in the process of writing various sports books focusing on past events in specific areas. To enhance my descriptions I was thinking about using some of the many quotes from players and coaches that are easy to find all over the web. Some are in newspapers, some are on sports websites, others are merely repeated on a variety of blogs.

My question is: what are the copyright implications of using quotes from a press conference for example? Are statements made in a press conference for public consumption and therefore can be quoted? If for example, the same quote from a coach is used in numerous newspaper articles or match reports is that legal for me to use too, or is it copyright of any press agency or the person who said it? Would I need permission in every case?

I can understand that quotes given in a one on one interview given to a newspaper would be a different situation, but the statements in press conferences are quoted left right and centre.

Any thoughts?

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Writing Help & Issues > Research Section