WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Writer's Beat Technical Support

Writer's Beat Technical Support Tech support for problems with logging in, passwords, or any other hitches you may experience on the forum.

Why are my links not working, keep getting changed?

Old 04-14-2012, 04:51 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93
Default Why are my links not working, keep getting changed?

In this classified thread:
http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=37289

I've tried editing them manually or using the "link" icon and they work initially, but then when I come back to the thread later they have been changed and do not work?

I'm very confused at this point.

Thanks for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Last edited by kennyc; 04-14-2012 at 05:11 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Fox
Administration

Thanks 602

What do you mean by changed, exactly? Do you mean you want to put in a phrase and be able to click on it to follow a link, like the first link in your post?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:02 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

What I mean is that. Initially they seem to work, but then they get an error and when I go to edit the post there is not url in the {URL} tag.

if I put the {URL="http etc"} then it works initially, but when I navigate away (or after some time ... I don't know) they change back to just the blank tag and don't work, yet the links in my sig work fine...

I'm very confused as to what is going on. Are the links working for you?

I get an error message like this (in Firefox):

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at go.writersbeat.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've tried using the insert link icon as well as doing them manually and as I said they initially seem to work but then they don't.

-
-
-

Last edited by kennyc; 04-14-2012 at 05:05 AM..
Old 04-14-2012, 05:11 AM
Ilseum (Offline)
Fantastic Fox
Administration

Thanks 602

Hmm, that is strange . . . I'll let the other staffers know what's going on, maybe one of them sees the problem
Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Oh and looking at some other's posts I'm seeing the same behavior when I click their links.

Such as this post (the lulu link): http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=36474

-
-
-

Old 04-14-2012, 05:14 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Ilseum View Post
Hmm, that is strange . . . I'll let the other staffers know what's going on, maybe one of them sees the problem
Thank you.

-
-
-

Old 04-14-2012, 06:11 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Hey Kenny,

I have edited your links - check them now and see if they work for you, as they work for me
Old 04-14-2012, 06:19 AM
CandraH (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 449

They're not working for me either, Loz, and I tried linking to them directly myself in another thread.

Here's a link to my website - http://candragonart.com/index.htm

It works fine where Kenny's link didn't so I'm guessing it's a problem with his Amazon listing or linking abilites and needs further investigation.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 AM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Thanks Candra!

You must be right there. I've been having a play and can't get the amazon links to work at all now. I tried with a couple of other books too and yet other sites will work.

Will look into it further.

P.S. Kenny you can copy and paste the links in the browser they work, so you may want to recommend people do this while we try get it sorted
The Following User Says Thank You to Loz For This Useful Post:
CandraH (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Hey Kenny,

I have edited your links - check them now and see if they work for you, as they work for me

Nope, same thing apparently happened to you as to me. When I edit/change them they seem to work and then something (the forum software?) seems to change them such that they don't work any more.....very strange.

Thanks for looking into it.

-
-
-

Old 04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

I put up a couple of redirects on my website and routed my links from here that way and the seem to be working for now.

I noticed that some other people had done the same sort of thing in their postings. I don't think I'm the first to run into this here. I'll bet it's something in the configuration of the forum.

-
-
-

Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Any fix on this? Will there be a fix? It seems pretty dumb to have to put in remote forwards for Amazon and other URLs.

???

-
-
-

Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Gaines (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 806

According to Chef Gunther the most common mistake made when it comes to cooking sausage links is...hold on I just got a call from a mod.

Never mind the post. Sorry.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:32 AM
Redlorry (Offline)
Paint it RED!

Thanks 1,488
Send a message via MSN to Redlorry Send a message via Skype™ to Redlorry

Testing links.

Lorry's Blog

Does this work for y'all?

Edit: Cos it works for me.

1. Use ctrl and 'c' to copy highlighted URL from address bar
2. Write text to be linked to in post and highlight
3. Use link button and paste, (control and 'v') in copied URL
4. Click 'ok'
5. Finish and publish post.
[CENTER][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred][B]Be the kind of woman that when you wake up in the morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up again."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER]

Last edited by Redlorry; 05-06-2012 at 02:36 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 02:38 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Yes, that works. The problem is CERTAIN url's like AMAZON and other are being changed/blocked or something.

See the posts above e.g.: http://forums.writersbeat.com/showpo...47&postcount=9

-
-
-

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Redlorry (Offline)
Paint it RED!

Thanks 1,488

Big Red

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Red-eboo...6301019&sr=8-1

Have tried a link and a URL. Do they work for you.

I wonder if that is something to do with the fact Amazon has a different site for different countries. The above links are from the UK site.
[CENTER][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred][B]Be the kind of woman that when you wake up in the morning the devil says "Oh crap, she's up again."[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/CENTER][CENTER][B][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=#8b0000][FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=darkred]
Old 05-06-2012, 02:54 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Big Red

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Red-eboo...6301019&sr=8-1

Have tried a link and a URL. Do they work for you.

I wonder if that is something to do with the fact Amazon has a different site for different countries. The above links are from the UK site.

Yes that link works but if I provide a direct link to my book page on amazon

I'll put these in just to test it, maybe it has been fixed?? :

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Z3RZ8K

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SQ9JYC

It doesn't seem to work (other that initially....it gets changed by the system or something)

I tried the lulu.com link I'd referenced above (in this thread: http://www.writersbeat.com/showthread.php?t=36474 )and it appears to be working now. Maybe this has been fixed.

-
-
-

Last edited by kennyc; 05-06-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Old 05-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Redlorry (Offline)
Paint it RED!

Thanks 1,488

Both the Amazon links take me to your books, but not to any specific pages, just t the 'Look inside' option. As the pages on the 'Look inside' funtion are part of a pop up this could be why those links don't work.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Originally Posted by Redlorry View Post
Both the Amazon links take me to your books, but not to any specific pages, just t the 'Look inside' option. As the pages on the 'Look inside' funtion are part of a pop up this could be why those links don't work.

They appear to be working now.

Before what would happen is that the links would initially work and then they would (somehow) get modified and would come up with an 'errror' page.

I'll keep an eye on this and check over the next day or two, but it appears to be working now.

Thank you Redlorry for checking in on this!

-
-
-

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 713

We did contact technical support on this issue, so perhaps it was fixed by them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Firefly For This Useful Post:
kennyc (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 08:43 AM
kennyc (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 93

Yes they do appear to working correctly now. I do still suspect it was either some configuration issue or a non-spamming/blocking setting.

Thank You!

-
-
-

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Writer's Beat Technical Support