WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry

Poetry Sit down or take a stand in this poetry section.

heroes birth---a battle story

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Homer's Odyssey Was Nothing
Official Member

Thanks 377
Default heroes birth---a battle story

heroes birth

mid-battle, deaths sweet breath blows across the soul,
chaos reigns with clenched teeth and twisted gut,

courage run to dust as mortars slam
churned
flesh and soil, and night slips
through tangled vine,
reapers come
to count quickened prey,

promise hidden of the morrows light,
hope is casualty,

courage is casualty,
brother’s love is taut,

when the banshee ghosts shriek through blackness

to hear the hellish hiss of combat, see mayhem's vivid color,
taunt the forlorn warrior waiting for his death,

to rise,
to charge,
to face the carnage,
weapon ready,

blood lust full, coward made hero by his fright,

and carries battle to enemy shield,
and lives to fight through deaths fear once more.

Last edited by Waterpoor; 03-11-2012 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM
bicyclingfish (Offline)
Intellectually Fertile
Official Member

Thanks 45

Last line, is it supposed to be "death's fear"?

If this were anyone else I'd say good job, but from you I want different. This poem feels like another version of what you've written before.

I tried explaining to you once that there's a way in using descriptive words where we still manage to tell the reader what to see, and in doing that we tell them what to feel, and in doing that we dismiss their ability to respond beyond the immediate face value of what they're reading. I'm not dismissing what you've written here, but I want different.

Give me the sensation of being there without telling me what to see. Trust my intuition as a reader to fill in what you don't say, and in that way you can show, not tell. I think you have a higher place you can go next with your writing, and this might be that.

What you're telling is a great story that must be told and told again, for succeeding generations to read and relate to, and to learn from. But you can tell it differently, and even more effectively than you are here.

I like the title, a lot.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Bicyclingfish, I make it a point to never defend what I write so call this an explanation. I don't mean to sound cavalier but if you haven't been there you would have no idea what to feel. The poem is written to expose the transition from the fear of imminent death to the point where that immobilizing terror is overwhelmed and survival instincts propel the warrior into heroic like action. Courage is not the lack of fear but what is done in the face of it.

As re/the same old stuff-------raises a hackle or two. There is not same old stuff in traumatic situations for the participants.

Do appreciate your critique.

yo'pa

Last edited by Waterpoor; 03-10-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Phyllis Stewart (Offline)
The Next Bard
Official Member

Thanks 124

mid-battle, deaths sweet breath blows across the soul,
chaos reigns with clenched teeth, twisted spines,

churned
flesh and soil,

to hear the hellish hiss of combat, see mayhem's vivid color,
taunt the forlorn warrior waiting for his death,

blood lust full, coward made hero by his fright,

I had picked out these lines as favorites, superbly written, when I read your reply above. You said exactly what I was planning to say in a comment on the line coward made hero by his fright

I think that's a truth most people miss. Nowadays everyone gets the title "hero" just for being a victim or the opposite––Superman can't be a hero since he's not afraid of the villain's gun. Without fear, there can be no heroism. Thanks for saying that. Needs to be said over and over until it sinks in. The poor souls who were killed on 9/11 are always called heroes, but they were just victims, nothing more or less.

Let's stop distorting definitions to make people feel good about themselves. A coward runs away when he's afraid; a hero has just as much fear, but he stays to fight for the guys in the foxhole with him.

Excellent piece. I've never been to war, and when I try to imagine the things I've heard described, my mind shuts down and refuses even to place me in the imaginary situation. So it must be even worse than I feel it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Phyllis Stewart; 03-10-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

Phylis, thank you very much for your read and comments. The war pieces are difficult because of content. Nice to know you get it.

R.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 AM
KBR (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius

Thanks 656

This is OUTSTANDING R! I tried hard to find some lines in order to say 'these were my favorite', but I couldn't choose! It's ALL good! So powerful! This the BEST thing I've ever looked at of yours...by FAR! I can feel everthing when I read this. This is an exceptional achievement. I would be getting this one printed and framed and hung on the wall. Don't know how you're going to top this one R!
Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Loz (Offline)
Captain Unicorn Biscuits

Thanks 999

Always a fan of your work Waterpoor, it never disappoints. Wish I had readn't this one right before going to bed though, your poems bring me an idea war that my imagination could never conjur - time to hide behind my quilt!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Emerson (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
New Author

Thanks 0
Default Powerful and taut...

...to use one of the words in the poem (in a fresh way, to describe love!). The battle description is as gut-wrenching as I imagine it should be.

How to strengthen? Perhaps a little clearer POV and focus on the coward who becomes hero earlier in the poem? I think the best line is "blood lust full, coward made hero by his fright," and would love to see more like it, i.e., combining vivid description with a trenchant psychological insight. (The last line is a bit anticlimactic after this, by the way; perhaps you've already implied what it says?)

A few things I didn't quite get--which may be just my ignorance or misreading:

--"reapers come/to count quickened prey..." Aren't the reapers coming for the dead, rather than the "quickened" (restored to life)?

--"
when the banshee ghosts shriek through blackness/to hear the hellish hiss..." I assume you mean to say the banshees [I think "ghosts" is redundant here, by the way] are "shrieking", then someone else (soldiers) are "hearing", but as written it sounds like the banshees are doing the shrieking and the hearing...

--in the last three stanzas, the grammar seems a bit funky: esp. in last one, the "and"s confuse me as to who/what is the subject. Would it work to change each "and" to "he"?

One nit to pick: what's your protocol for possessives? The apostrophe seems arbitrarily missing or correct (missing in "heroes" and "deaths" (2X), but properly used in "brother's" and "mayhem's"). Is there some meaning in the absences? If not, I'd call it gratuitous experimentalism...apostrophes are a useful tool, helping the reader avoid stumbling, imho.

I thank my creator I didn't have to go through what you did to write this poem. Thanks, R.
--O
Old 03-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Waterpoor (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 377

KBR
Loz
Emerson,
I want to thank each of you for your reads and comments. Emerson, thanks for the critique. Every bit is carefully considered.

R.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:16 PM
chica (Offline)
Pencil pusher
Official Member

Thanks 3

courage run to dust as mortars slam
churned flesh and s
oil,
and night slips
through tangled vine,
reapers come
to count quickened prey

Love this piece. I have a friend who writes war pieces, and I know what the cost of sharing it is. The highlighted verse is simply beautiful and alive with imagery.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 AM
Nacia (Online)
Resident Ghost
Official Member

Thanks 919

simply beautifu lovely read!!
it reminds us
it is expensive a fine
so bear one
in mind

WritersBeat.com > Write Here > Poetry