WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

Back cover blurb section?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:11 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3
Default Back cover blurb section?

I was thinking since there are many of us here dying to have someone read our novels/short stories we should have a section to post a blurb about our stories.

I know many are posting their stories in sections and are worried nobody is reading or offering feedback well maybe having a look at the blurb will entice some more members to subscribe to their threads and keep a watch on the progress. Hey if it was something I really liked I would want to contact the writer and have them email me the lot!

Just a thought

The Following User Says Thank You to pixiesvsnight For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (11-29-2011)
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM
TaoChilde51 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

I did write a blurb for the novel I'm working on, if you don't mind looking at it.

From "The Clockwork Affair"

Fiona nodded as Lily waved and went down the corridor, fussing with her hair as she walked to her office. Fiona took the other hall entrance to her main office. She opened the great oaken door that had her name engraved on a brass plaque in the middle of it and walked in. To her left was the desk where she spent most of her time, covered with drawings and sketches of the machinery she was designing. In front of her was the fireplace, already lit by the office staff. On the right were two wooden and leather chairs for visitors and a wall behind them, lined with bookshelves stuffed with technical journals and scrolls of diagrams. This was her place, her “grounding” as her aunt, a long-time believer in omens and portents would call it, and she loved it.

She sat in the chair behind the desk and relaxed for a moment, till her eyes fell upon a small plain metal box on top of the desk. She brushed some of the papers aside and placed the box in front of her, then opened it up. Inside lay only a cheap necklace made of glass beads, strung with rough twine and tied together, not even a clasp on it.

She reached out a trembling hand to the necklace and picked it up, the distracted stare on her face showing that her mind was not on the office work. The flashing of the lights on the glass beads made her remember... made her remember...

Pandemonium ruled the village. Low-standing peat houses were on fire, people were screaming, her friends and family being chased by the angry dark men in strange clothing. She hid under the fireplace supports of one house till finally, it, too, was set on fire. She darted out to escape but a rough strong hand grabbed her long hair from behind.

"We could sell this one to the Sinese, Lieutenant. Wash her up and she might get a pretty price". She struggled futilely in his grip and the men laughed at her.

A third man walked over and she could tell, even at her age, that this man had power over the other two, over her. He looked her up and down for a moment, then spoke.

"I know this one, I think. She's the daughter of the... what do they call that? Shaman? Priest? of their tribal council. What are you doing here, girl?"

She said nothing but spat at his feet, receiving an immediate blow to the side of her head from the man behind her that left her partially dazed.

"Tie her up and pack her away for safekeeping, we'll see what we can get for her. This will be proof we have her". He reached down and before the girl could protest, yanked the glass bead necklace from her neck, the one her father had given her after his last trip to the trading post. He held it up and it glinted as it reflected the light from the burning houses.

"What about the rest of them, sir?" asked the other man standing next to her.

The leader looked around at the remaining captives being grouped up, beaten, bloody, the other children crying and frightened.

"Kill them. Kill them all."

As the man holding her hair picked her up, the last sight she saw that night was the dark-skinned men wading into the group of survivors, swinging already bloodied swords and clubs as she whirled down into darkness...
The Following User Says Thank You to TaoChilde51 For This Useful Post:
fleamailman (12-15-2011)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:08 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Mmm it feels more like an extract than a blurb. I mean something more like this...

-Pixies vs The Night-

Wishing for change? What will you do when it finally comes?

It's summer time again and this time it's going to be big!
Corey, Justin, Alex, Brad and Lee are fed up with the day to day grind of normal life in the suburbs, so this summer they are going to kick it off in style. Plans of beach days and parties are sure to get stirred up when the gang encounter a cool and mysterious group of young women who call themselves "Pixies" and find themselves in the midst of a war fuelled by drugs, vengance and jealousy.

The gang straps in for a wild ride as they join with the Pixies and race around the city. While their fearless leader Holly tries to free them from the evil clutches of Dan and his drug fuelled friends, the gang sinks deeper into the dangerous world of the Pixies as they try to unravel their past.

With the police and Dan both hot on their tales and Corey falling in love with the gentle and heartbroken Gemma, the gang put their honesty and friendship to the test as they try to survive the craziest week of their lives.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:37 AM
TaoChilde51 (Offline)
Let me introduce myself
Official Member

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:11 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by TaoChilde51 View Post
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood.
No probs, good read though!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Devon (Online)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Head SPaG Ninja

Thanks 1,496

Hey if it was something I really liked I would want to contact the writer and have them email me the lot!
Yes, and so that's why one should place one's blurb into our Novel Exchange thread.

Visit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. What's it to ya?

- NOW OPEN!

The Following User Says Thank You to Devon For This Useful Post:
pixiesvsnight (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 PM
pixiesvsnight (Offline)
Scribbler
Official Member

Thanks 3

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Yes, and so that's why one should place one's blurb into our Novel Exchange thread.

Thanks Devon! I've been searching around the forums for a while now and I can't believe I missed that! Think I'll skip over there and have a nice little read.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback