WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback

Members' Feedback Suggestions, complaints, requests, questions, protests, etc.

A Lot of Measures

Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 AM
E.W.L. (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9
Default A Lot of Measures

A lot of measures have been put out on the new members. Note, this is not a complaint thread nor a complaint in itself. Is there more of a direct method that this can be done? Instead of the trinket bread crumb method?

Thank you.

~E.W.L.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Devon (Offline)
Guard Dog and Playful Pup
Head SPaG Ninja

Thanks 1,483

Can you elaborate, please?
Visit:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. What's it to ya?

- NOW OPEN!

Old 11-23-2011, 01:02 AM
E.W.L. (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Devon View Post
Can you elaborate, please?
All right. The bread crumb method is simply:

You need this many post to have this access

Where as a more direct method is:

Be a member for a week, at least post in all of the section, gain member access

At current, I use paintings with my poems, but found out I needed 10 post to post links. Then I wanted to be a kind guest to someone whom was a normal member whom PMd me, but found out I needed 15 post to reply to normal members. This is the bread crumb method.

I have hosted a few sites before and have been members of a few sites as well. Both whom have used both methods, but the direct method is more simply and easier. Basically you remain a new member until a mod or staff hands you member access, such as viewing profiles, PMing other people other than just staff,etc.

It's only a suggestion mind you. I don't mind either or method. I just find direct less fuss. But I understand the reasons for it. A few bad apples ruined the whole batch.

~E.W.L.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Tau (Online)
The giver of Cookies

Thanks 578

The 5 post rule and the 10 post rule and all the others are in the FAQ, if people can not bother to read the rules then that is not our problem. The 5 post rules also only stop people from starting a thread in the Write here section, you can post anywhere else, and start threads everywhere else. 5 pots are easy to get, One introduction thread, and four comments on peoples work, or 4 posts in the café, or the board games or anywhere. Even 15 posts are not many, You have been here less than a day and you have nearly got them.

If I understand you correctly you would have us put in a one week rule before people can start new threads in the Write Here section, post links and send PMs. If so then that is more demanding then what we have now, and goes way beyond the point of the current rules.

As for asking us to review every member before giving them full access, that might work on large forums but here it will not work well as there are only a few members of staff. That would also not stop addbots and spamers as they would simply await staff clearance before doing their thing, while the current rules stop nearly all, and the remainder are very easy for us to spot.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 AM
E.W.L. (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

I understand. I was simply more or less asking, as stated this was more for a discussion as I am always curious about these things. It interest me in a sense.

I'm sorry, I was looking for the rules. As I am slightly new to the site, I'm still situating where everything is. I got a bit lost between Introduction and Announcement. So I apologize if I seem ridiculously redundant.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 AM
Tau (Online)
The giver of Cookies

Thanks 578

That is fine, asking a question is a good thing after all, unless it is ‘Why?’ and one is three years old.

And your suggestions have been noted, though as I said they seem less practical/useful then the current ones.

Post like yours crop up from time to time, and most of them are: ‘I did not bother to read the FAQ and am now upset that I could not do X,Y or Z’.

We tend to answer them a bit more harshly then we would normally because A) we are only human, and B) we have observed that in the long run most people who whine about X, Y or Z also cannot take a honest critique to well when they do get one. This is probably because a lot of such posters are younger and impatient by nature, and are also at the beginning of their writing and as such have less experience, which means that a good critique can come as a big shock.

Anyway, let that be the end of my ramblings, let as all have a and .
Old 11-23-2011, 02:04 AM
E.W.L. (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

I do apologize. I got lost and didn't know the F.A.Q. = rules. Usually rules are labeled rules and I got confused on if this is what I should be reading or if this is what I should be reading. I wasn't trying to come off as the arrogant new member or the one that didn't read properly. I do try as hard as I can, I too am only human.

Yes a warm cup of tea would be nice right about now. I don't drink coffee because it has gag reflexes written all over it.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Firefly (Offline)
I'm The Crazy One

Thanks 714

I think it's a cup of hot cocoa. If you look really close at it, you can see some tiny marshmallows floating on top

Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM
fleamailman (Online)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 3,159

("...the measures you mention are not meant to deter actual members here, since they're only a slight hindrance at the start of one's posting life on this forum..." started the goblin liking the owl a lot, certainly admiring his writing style too, and yet feeling the need to explain that this forum receives lots of leach linkers and post and run types who have no intention of contributing anything beyond links or ads their books/blogs, saying "...yes, they're the very types whose ineptitude and short sightedness just tells the readers all they really need to know about them, and yet back they come and new ones too, week after week, where these measures are simply there not to stop them, for it doesn't stop them, but instead it just helps other posters here to see what they're dealing with by way of the read all posts button on their username...", in fact, the goblin was never rude to them at all, preferring to show them the short-sightedness of their method while trying to entice them to become more actively involved in the forum since most readers judged an author by the nature of their posts alone, not by any links or ads, adding "...come and share you matched poems on my edit thread in the writer's cafe then, I share your love of illustrating then...")

Last edited by fleamailman; 11-24-2011 at 03:23 AM..
Old 11-23-2011, 01:38 PM
E.W.L. (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 9

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I think it's a cup of hot cocoa. If you look really close at it, you can see some tiny marshmallows floating on top
I see that now. I thought it was more of a graphical failure on my part.

WritersBeat.com > Writer's Beat > Members' Feedback