WritersBeat.com

Go Back   WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice

Tips & Advice What works for you? Share your experience!

How many book* pages in a MS Word page?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:36 AM
ZombieGenesis (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 2
Default How many book* pages in a MS Word page?

Since I'm writing using MS Word 2003 (my favourite of the selection) I've often wondered how the page count would translate into a 'regular' book page. I realise there are many different sizes of pages available but I use the term to mean the most basic example of paperback novel page. The Accord, Eye of the World, those sort of books that you can find lining any shelf.

Someone once told me it was one MSW page to two novel pages. Is this true? I rather hope not because if so I -really- need to trim this down. Still, any true answer is appreciated~

Old 03-02-2010, 11:57 AM
longknife (Offline)
Word Wizard
Official Member

Thanks 62
Icon6

There are literally thousands of things that determine what you want to figure out.
Size of the actual page of the book.
Size and style of type.
And so on.

The only thing I can think of is to try formatting it using Adobe Reader in a pdf. Set it to the type setting and fonts of a regular paperback or hard-bound and it'll give you an idea.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

I read somewhere that it was 260 words to a page in a novel. I don't know how perfectly accurate that is, and since then, I've seen several other numbers quoted, but they were all in the neighborhood.

If you are writing in word, go to tools, then word count, and that will give you a general idea of how many words you have. Then divide that number by 260, and you will have a decent guess as to how many pages you have.

I've since learned, though, that everyone seems to measure the length of writing by word count. The best info I've found from my research is that a novel will range from 55,000 all the way up to the neighborhood of 175,000 words. Maybe more... I'm not sure. My book ended up being 56,000, haha. So I'm not as familiar with the bigger numbers.

Hope that helps, just keep in mind, I am by no means a professional. =-)

Happy writing!

Last edited by Gwyndolin; 03-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 318

I did a count on several paperbacks and then averaged them. I got about 260-300 words per paperback page, so assume about three pages per single-spaced, 12-point Word Processor page.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Paco (Offline)
Heartbreaking Writer of Staggering Genius
Official Member

Thanks 150

But submitted manuscripts are (almost) always double-spaced, so does that mean one and a half pages per WP page? I'm so confused.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 318

That figure seems about right to me... let me check how many words are on a double-spaced page.

Actually, between 1.5 and two pages. Double-spacing doesn't necessarily seem to halve the word count per page. Out of 555 words, the first page, when double-spaced, clocked in at 316. Each MS page, double-spaced, counts for 1.5-2 paperback book pages.

Just counted a hardback book and got about 475 words per page for that one. Do your own calculations.

Edit: Actually, I don't think I made it any less confusing Let's see here:

Setting: Single-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman or similar font.

Words per manuscript page: Around 500 (I'm cutting down a little due to the absence of much dialogue on the pages I used)

Words per paperback page: 250-300

Words per hardback page: 400 (Same as above; little dialogue, so I'm cutting the figure down)

It takes: 2-2.5 paperback pages to equal one manuscript page.
1-1.5 hardback pages to equal one manuscript page.

I think.

My previous figure of three was a little off, I think.

For double spaced, just double and halve as needed; the results are close enough.

Also, I should add the disclaimer that I used fantasy and historical fiction novels for my word counts, varied with one or two Dean Koontzes. Thus all the word counts per page may be a little high, due to the tendency of fantasy and historical fiction writers to be detailed and have large sections of narrative as opposed to dialogue.

Last edited by Winterbite; 03-02-2010 at 05:06 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Paco (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 150

What? You think I can count? I only have twenty-one digits. Well, make that twenty and a half.

Isn't a word considered to be five letters on average? That what was used for word count in typing classes.

Last edited by Paco; 03-02-2010 at 05:09 PM..
Old 03-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 318

Five letters? Never heard that one. Sounds right, though.

Unfortunately, my math mind--if I have one--burned itself out in my last post, and, while I'm sure I could somehow use that to even out the word count a bit, I'm at a loss for how to do so.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Paco (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 150

Five letters was our measure for WPM in touch-typing class. An error took away five letters unless corrected perfectly. Goddam, I hated typing classes, but being able to type and spell has helped me survive in all my jobs.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,412
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

For general purposes it is always assumed that a book will contain 250 words per page.

Meet the staff, see how a magazine is made, read author interviews, shout your lungs raw in the discussion area...
Old 03-03-2010, 03:00 AM
SW (Offline)
Samuel Johnson, obviously!
Official Member

Thanks 160

Ah, time passes too quickly. I'm just wondering how much a day costs.

Yes, averagely 250wpp. I've done about 4 pages in my very much incomplete novel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Winterbite (Offline)
Don't Panic

Thanks 318

250 words per page? I'm definitely using the wrong novels
Old 03-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Mike C (Offline)
Legend
Official Member

Thanks 1,412
Send a message via MSN to Mike C

It's an average, dates back to the days before computers, and now largely irrelevant.

Meet the staff, see how a magazine is made, read author interviews, shout your lungs raw in the discussion area...
Old 03-03-2010, 04:12 PM
kal (Offline)
Still Clicking!
Official Member

Thanks 33

That's what I was taught at uni, around 250 words per page, which when we double spaced our pages wasn't far off. so it was page for page while workshopping.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Originally Posted by Gwyndolin View Post
I've since learned, though, that everyone seems to measure the length of writing by word count. The best info I've found from my research is that a novel will range from 55,000 all the way up to the neighborhood of 175,000 words. Maybe more... I'm not sure. My book ended up being 56,000, haha. So I'm not as familiar with the bigger numbers.
Just for some perspective: Stephen King's The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition was 420,000 words.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 AM
ZombieGenesis (Offline)
Copyist
Official Member

Thanks 2

Just counted an average page on Wheel of Time paperback and it came out as around 400 words per page. Good golly.
Well if we're judging at around 2-300 WPP here then I'm further along than I thought I was! Fan-dabey-dosey.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Just for some perspective: Stephen King's The Stand: Complete and Uncut Edition was 420,000 words.

Holy crap! That man is a genius! I don't think I could string 420,000 random words together, let alone tell an amazing story that would captivate readers all the way through to the end.

Of course, The Stand is a pretty extreme example, lol. I'd say most "regular" novels range from 3-500 pages, don't you think? Isn't The Stand like 1000-ish pages?
Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Daedalus (Offline)
The Few, The Proud.
Official Member

Thanks 61

Holy crap! That man is a genius! I don't think I could string 420,000 random words together, let alone tell an amazing story that would captivate readers all the way through to the end.
I have a novel on the back-burner which is currently 297,000. I consider it my best piece of writing, but I haven't come up with an ending to justify the rest of the novel. If I ever do, the novel will finish up, most likely, at or around 300K. It's been languishing on my PC since 2005.

But, yeah, King is pretty special.

Of course, The Stand is a pretty extreme example, lol. I'd say most "regular" novels range from 3-500 pages, don't you think? Isn't The Stand like 1000-ish pages?
Depends entirely on the author. Tom Clancy regularly wrote novels that averaged around eight hundred pages. His largest was over a thousand. But, yeah, from three to six hundred, I'd say, is generally run-of-the-mill novel sizes.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:22 AM
CTK (Offline)

Thanks 48
Send a message via AIM to CTK Send a message via MSN to CTK Send a message via Skype™ to CTK

You can just try and change the pages and margins to reflect that of a real book or a book that you're going for. Say if you want it hard cover size, trade paperback or etc. The specification can be found online.
The Following User Says Thank You to CTK For This Useful Post:
Gwyndolin (03-09-2010)
Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Gwyndolin (Offline)
Living in Chaos

Thanks 245

Originally Posted by CTK View Post
You can just try and change the pages and margins to reflect that of a real book or a book that you're going for. Say if you want it hard cover size, trade paperback or etc. The specification can be found online.

What a smart idea!!
Old 03-14-2010, 11:48 PM
A.C.W

I read somewhere that it was 260 words to a page in a novel. I don't know how perfectly accurate that is, and since then, I've seen several other numbers quoted, but they were all in the neighborhood.

If you are writing in word, go to tools, then word count, and that will give you a general idea of how many words you have. Then divide that number by 260, and you will have a decent guess as to how many pages you have.

Hope that helps, just keep in mind, I am by no means a professional. =-)

Happy writing!
That's a good tip! I just did that with my novel and got a page result of 542, which is around what I figured, but it annoyed me that I didn't know FOR SURE!
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Sherlock (Offline)
Official Member

Thanks 0

2-3 in normal paperback size.

WritersBeat.com > Writing Craft > Tips & Advice