View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 01:46 AM
Mohican (Offline)
Tall Poppy
Administration

Thanks 653

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
Oh, you mean the Reps are trying to appear as though they are normal, decent humans in order to get reelected? No surprise there.
Or it could come off as pandering, or that they have come off the rails and want to join in on a me-too-ism.

Originally Posted by brianpatrick View Post
A lack of simplicity is not the problem from which you suffer, sir. It's a lack of tolerance and a misguided belief that your way is the right way. And short of that you'd like to self segregate. Separate but equal?

Oh, that and you can't type people's names you disagree with without mockingly distorting them.
Tolerance of something wrong is not a good thing. But the simplicity of that is beyond your ken. (no not your avatar, Brian http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/beyond+ken)

I'll just quote Archbishop Chaput:

“We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty — these are Christian virtues. And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. But it’s never an end itself. In fact, tolerating grave evil within a society is itself a form of serious evil. Likewise, democratic pluralism does not mean that Catholics (and other Christians - my addition) should be quiet in public about serious moral issues because of some misguided sense of good manners. A healthy democracy requires vigorous moral debate to survive. Real pluralism demands that people of strong beliefs will advance their convictions in the public square — peacefully, legally and respectfully, but energetically and without embarrassment. Anything less is bad citizenship and a form of theft from the public conversation.”
– Archbishop Charles Chaput

If John of Patmos would browse the internet today for half an hour, I don't know if the Book of Revelations would be entirely different or entirely the same.