View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 01:49 AM
JohnConstantine (Offline)
Verbosity Pales
Official Member

Thanks 691

On America's distinction from 'developed' nations...

'The absolute rejection of a centralised state is part of its notion of freedom.'

Yeah... I never really understand this kind of mentality. An absolute rejection? The state becomes larger and larger, decade on decade, tax revenues all time high, regulations proliferate at unimaginable rates*, virtually no section of society left untouched by government. And yet we're convinced that it literally doesn't exist (thus crying out for more of it). Amazing stuff really; good ol' Guardian.

* According to the Office of the Federal Register, in 1998, the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), the official listing of all regulations in effect, contained a total of 134,723 pages in 201 volumes that claimed 19 feet of shelf space. In 1970, the CFR totaled only 54,834 pages.

It's a funny thing, I mean the total impossibility for society to be mindful of these regulations it would take a lifetime to read it let alone understand/live by it (just one more and everything will be fine!). I feel like Albert Camus 'At any street corner the feeling of absurdity can strike any man in the face.'